Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Three Lakes pool tournament carries on despite tragedySubmitted: 04/14/2019
Andrew Goldstein
Andrew Goldstein
Sports Anchor/Reporter
agoldstein@wjfw.com

Three Lakes pool tournament carries on despite tragedy
THREE LAKES - Three Lakes lost more than a part of history when the Oneida Village Inn burned down over a month ago.

It also lost the home of the town's 45th annual women's pool tournament.

That fire destroyed most of the organizing materials for the tournament, including rosters, brackets and contact information.

Organizers Jackie Walker and Connie Lang had to piece the tournament back together by sending out Facebook messages to everyone who already signed up.

Despite that, two dozen teams played, which is nearly everybody that signed up the first time.


"It was a tearjerker," Walker said. "Everybody coming up to me, hugging us, thanking us for having the tournament again. It will be on again next year. After 45 years, you can't quit, you have to keep going."

Although the tournament wrapped up Sunday night, it won't be the last one this month.

The men's tournament starts on the last weekend of April.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

Play Video

ONEIDA COUNTY - Both attorneys in Robin Mendez's murder trial delivered closing arguments Wednesday.  

Now Mendez's future is in the hands of Judge Jill Falstad. 

After seven days of hearing testimony, Falstad will decide if Mendez is guilty of killing his wife Barbara in 1982.

+ Read More

Play Video

ANTIGO - Last year out-of-home placements for children in Langlade Co. went way up, causing the county to exceed its budget by hundreds of thousands of dollars. Dozens of people came together in Antigo to learn more about the root of that problem on Wednesday. 

"We work really hard every single day, trying to get ahead of methamphetamine, trying to get ahead of opioid abuse," said Langlade Co. District Attorney Elizabeth Gerbert.

+ Read More

ST. GERMAIN - A mother's car rolled over several times into a ditch in St. Germain on Monday.  Karen Ives, 51, was thrown from the car along with one of her three children.  Miraculously they all survived.
  
Wednesday, the Vilas County Sheriff's Office revealed Ives' identity and more details about the crash.

Police responded to the one-car crash on Highway 70 around 4:40 p.m April 22.  Ives and her six-year-old child were thrown from the car.  Two other children, ages 8 and 12, stayed in the car.

+ Read More

Play Video

ANTIGO - The Antigo Public Library will get some unplanned improvements after a car crashed through one of its walls last December. Construction work to repair the damage began this week, since work couldn't take place during the winter months. 

Back in December someone accidentally crashed into the library's meeting room, causing $43,000 worth of damage. No one was hurt and insurance is covering the repair cost. 

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - Going to college can be expensive, but one organization is working to help Rhinelander students pay for the costs. 

The Rhinelander Area Scholarship Foundation gives students the opportunity to apply for scholarship money.

Foundation president Jeanne Stephens said they award thousands of dollars in scholarships each year.

"The community has really embraced this," said Stephens. "Last year, we gave out over $300,000 worth of scholarships to local graduates."

Stephens said she has an upcoming fundraiser for the award money. 

The next one is Thursday night at Brown Street 151 in Rhinelander. 

+ Read More

DE PERE - A historic building in De Pere that housed a restaurant, apartments, a yoga studio and photography business, has been destroyed by massive fire.

Firefighters rushed to the scene about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday and found smoke in the Ogan restaurant on the first floor.

Fire Chief Alan Matzke says about 20 people living in second-floor apartments were evacuated and all made it out safely. As crews fought the fire, the structure, more than 100 years old, began to collapse, so firefighters worked to keep the blaze from spreading to an adjacent building.

+ Read More

MADISON - Gov. Tony Evers and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin say federal military officials have agreed to review how the Wisconsin National Guard handles sexual assault after members alleged harassment, assault and retaliation for reporting incidents.

Evers and Baldwin asked the National Guard Bureau's Office of Complex Investigations in March to review the Wisconsin Guard's sexual assault and harassment reporting procedures and accountability measures.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: