GREEN BAY - Seeing snow flying around may make you want to crank up the thermostat.
Some people might be afraid to do that because they can't afford the bills.
Wisconsin Public Service reminds customers that help is available through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP).
The program is based on income, so you don't need to be behind on your bills to apply.
You'll need the following information.
• Their most recent energy bill or their electric or natural gas account number
• Proof of income for all household members for the past three months
• Social Security numbers for all household members
• A photo ID (only applies to first-time applicants)
• Rent certificate or statement (if heat is included in the rent, or the resident provides a heating payment)
WHEAP guidelines are updated annually, and additional residents may qualify for assistance this year due to changes to Eligibility levels.
WHEAP, a service coordinated by the Wisconsin Department of Administration, helps qualifying residents reduce their energy bills or meet emergency needs.
Assistance provided by WHEAP is made through a one-time grant.
Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Application Sites