WOODRUFF - A Woodruff family now finds themselves without a home for the holidays after a fire late Tuesday afternoon caused severe damage.
It is unknown exactly how much damage there is, or how the fire got started. But, what authorities do know, is that no one got hurt.
That's in large part due to the quick actions of a 13-year-old boy.
"Overwhelmed," said Chad Rudisill.
"Very overwhelmed, nervous, scared, glad everybody's okay," said Susan Rudisill.
The Rudisills' home is unlivable after a fire.
"When we got here there was flames coming through the window behind us, and heavily smoke, heavily fire," said Woodruff Fire Chief Mike Timmons.
The family lost belongings, but everyone is safe because of the Rudisills' 13-year-old son, Charlie.
"He reacted fast, knew what to do right away," said Chad.
When the fire began around 4:30 in the afternoon, Charlie was home alone.
"When Charlie got home from school, he went in, let the puppy out of the kennel and took the dogs outside to play," said Susan. "About 15 minutes later is when he went to go back in, seen smoke, yelled and the dogs to get back out."
That's when Charlie called his mom, she called 911.
"He called me with the scared fear in his voice," said Susan.
While the extent of the damage is still unknown, Fire Chief Mike Timmons says Charlie's actions helped.
"It's heavily smoke and heavily heat damaged, but it could've gone a lot worse," said Timmons.
A lot worse, if Charlie hadn't been home.
"Proud, very proud… knew exactly what to do and didn't panic." said Chad.
"Very proud of him he did the right thing and got everybody out okay," said Susan.
The family says they do already have somewhere to go, and that they are so grateful for the support they've received.
They also expressed their thanks the first responders who did all they could.
For right now, the Rudisills just plan to see what can be saved from their home and go from there.