Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

21-year-old Rhinelander man in custody after hours-long standoffSubmitted: 11/16/2017
Story By Allie Herrera

21-year-old Rhinelander man in custody after hours-long standoff
RHINELANDER - A man threatening to hurt himself and others with a knife sparked an hours-long standoff in Rhinelander Thursday. 

Police were called to the home of 21-year-old Mathew Smith on Highway 8 just before 10 a.m. All afternoon, police tried talking to Smith who wouldn't come out of his home. Smith, along with other people, and a child were inside the home at first. Police say within the first half an hour, everyone expect Smith got out safely.  


Oneida County Sheriff Grady Hartman said police believe drugs were a factor in this incident. The Oneida County Special Response Team spent nearly six hours trying to get Smith to come out of his home.

"[The] Special Response Team did deploy some gas into the residence. That's part of their protocol on getting a barricaded suspect out of a residence," said Hartman. 

Smith was arrested for domestic violence disorderly conduct, failure to comply with an officer's attempt to take the person into custody, and multiple warrants. Other departments like the Rhinelander Police Department, Minocqua Police Department and the Langlade County Sheriff's Office also assisted. 

"We give chances to surrender peacefully. We slowly ramp up our level of force until we get compliance," said Hartman. 

Hartman said nobody was injured in this incident. He added his department along with other departments work together to make sure they follow a plan. Langlade County's special response team also worked with Oneida County. 

Smith was taken into custody just before 4 p.m.



Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

WISCONSIN - Utility crews have restored power to more than 138,000 customers following destructive thunderstorms that struck eastern Wisconsin this weekend.

But WE Energies and Wisconsin Public Service say around 127,000 customers were still without power as of around midday Sunday.

+ Read More

Play Video

PHELPS - An "antique critique" in Phelps Sunday helped people learn the value of their collectables, family heirlooms and thrift store finds with a little help from a familiar face. 

+ Read More

DE PERE - St. Norbert Abbey in Wisconsin has released the names of 22 priests who faced "credible" allegations of sexually abusing minors.

The abbey says an independent review deemed more than 40 allegations credible. About half came from the 1960s, and 12 Norbertine priests faced multiple allegations. All but five are dead. Two of the living have left the abbey and ministry; three others are restricted from ministry.

Abbot Dane Radecki says the names were released Friday in the spirit of accountability, but gave few details of the allegations.

The abbey serves St. Norbert College and some schools and parishes around De Pere.

The report came six months after the Green Bay Diocese named 46 priests with credible claims of sexual abuse against them but did not include priests from independent orders.


+ Read More

MADISON -  A report shows 11 rural hospitals in Wisconsin stopped routinely delivering babies in the past 10 years.

The Wisconsin Office of Rural Health report shows that the closures were due to the challenge of a low number of both on-call providers and number of deliveries.

The Wisconsin State Journal reports the most recent obstetrics closures were in Grantsburg and Ripon in 2017.

The report, which was released last week, indicates that 56% of the state's rural hospitals perform routine deliveries, compared with 40% of rural hospitals nationally.

The report says nearly 99% of women of child-bearing age in Wisconsin live within a 30-minute drive of a hospital that provides obstetrics.

+ Read More

Play Video

PICKEREL - The Siebers family spent much of their Sunday scrubbing. The linings of their walk-in freezer were covered in mold.

The Siebers' restaurant, The Northwoods Inn, lost power after the storm Friday night.

"We've been through a lot here," said co-owner Perry Siebers. "We've been here 23 years, but it's tough."

The Siebers had to throw away thousands of dollars' worth of food from their freezer.

"We only had one generator, so enough to run two chest-freezers," said co-owner Kelly Siebers. "For our big walk-in cooler, all the food is pretty much a loss."

+ Read More

MADISON - Madison police say they've arrested two teenage girls after a report of shots fired led to a chase and a crash into a squad car.

Officers responded to the shots fired around 12:45 p.m. Saturday. They found nobody injured or any damage, but found a shell casing and evidence that a suspected stolen car that had left the area was connected to the shots.

Police spotted the car about 45 minutes later and began a chase. After crashing into a Madison squad car, the two suspects ran away, leading to a short foot chase before they were arrested.

The 17-year-old and 16-year-old female suspects face charges of eluding a police officer and operating a vehicle without the owner's consent.

Both suspects and two Madison officers were treated for minor injuries.


+ Read More

Play Video

ELCHO - People across the Northwoods spent most of the Saturday dealing with storm damage. Firefighters in Elcho sprung into action last night as soon as the winds died down.

They cleared roads until about two in the morning, slept for a couple hours, and started working again around 5:30.

Fire chief Bob Jensen said he appreciates all the help the fire department received today, but cautions people to be safe.

"Give us some room to work so we can get it done safely," said Jensen. "We just don't want someone to get hurt. We were fortunate that no one got hurt in the storm."

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: