Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Lightning-sparked fire rips through Manitowish Waters homeSubmitted: 09/20/2017
Lane Kimble
Lane Kimble
News Director
lkimble@wjfw.com

Lightning-sparked fire rips through Manitowish Waters home
MANITOWISH WATERS - Heavy, gray smoke poured out of Kay Lackas's home in Manitowish Waters on Wednesday morning while firefighters rushed in, keeping her in a daze.

"I feel like that smoke, foggy," Lackas said.

Lackas was sleeping inside around 8:20 a.m. when she heard a loud bang of thunder, but she didn't think much of it until she smelled smoke.

"It's a blur," Lackas said. "You think this is going to happen to somebody else and when it happens to you, you just don't know what to think."

Lackas grabbed her two dogs, her cellphone, and ran to the neighbor's to call 911. Soon, fire crews from Manitowish Waters and at least four other departments sprayed water, smashed windows, and cut walls at the home on Lavigne Road, hoping to knock the fire down.

Kay's husband, Bob, was on a fishing trip on the Upper Peninsula border when she called him just before 9 a.m.

"Our life is going to change dramatically, to say the least," Bob said.

The Lackases planned to sell their home, which they've owned for 15 years. Bob says they just rejected an offer that was too low about three weeks ago.

"I don't know what we're going to sell it as [now]," Kay said.

"I'm sure over the course of the next month I'm going to be pulling my hair out with what needs to be done to get your life back to normal, but again, it is what it is and I just learn to go with the flow," Bob said.

Smoke poured out of the roof most of the morning, then sparked back up in the basement, where Bob had a finished rec room, which he called his "man cave." He expects the house to be a total loss, but three neighbors already offered their homes to stay in.

"People are wonderful, which you expect it to be, but you don't take it for granted," Bob said.

Family heirlooms--like Kay's mother's rings and the couple's clothing--might not escape the fire, but Bob is just thankful his family is safe.

"Let the chips fall where they may," Bob said. "Things will work out."

The Vilas County Sheriff's Office confirmed via a press release late Wednesday that a lighting strike was likely the cause.  The fire started in the basement, then spread quickly.

Fire crews from Manitowish Waters, Winchester, Boulder Junction, Lac du Flambeau, Arbor Vitae, and Hurley all responded. The Vilas County Sheriff's Office, Vilas County Emergency Management, and Manitowish Waters Ambulance also helped.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

MINOCQUA - You don't need to wait for the grass to turn green for golfing.

Minocqua's Ice Golf is an end of season charity tournament coming up on March 3rd.

The tournament raised more than $18,000  last year for charities including the food pantry and Dr. Kate Hospice.

It has become a Northwoods tradition for some people.

"First year we had it, we had only like 35 golfers, now last year we had over 300 golfers," says Albee's owner Randy Albrecht.

If you don't have a group, they'll put into one.

After everyone is done putting, there will be dinner and a raffle.

For tickets and info call: Albee's Yacht Club at 715-356-1366 OR The Thirsty Whale at 715-356-7108.


+ Read More

MADISON - An effort to clean up voting records caused problems for some voters during Tuesday's spring primary.

Some voters' information was removed, even though it was current.

+ Read More

IRONWOOD, MI - A large fire in Ironwood, Michigan killed at least one person early Wednesday morning.

Ironwood Public Safety reports firefighters were called to the downtown building on E. Aurora Street around 4 a.m.  The fire burned a building with businesses and apartments.

Crews pulled three people from apartment windows on upper floors, but another person pulled from the fire died at the hospital.  The Public Safety Department didn't release the victim's name or age.

+ Read More

Play Video

SUGAR CAMP - A major fire destroyed a machinery repair shop in Sugar Camp on Wednesday morning, sending clouds of black smoke over the Northwoods.

The shop, next to a home on County Highway D west of Sugar Camp, caught fire around 10 a.m.

"There was a machinery malfunction that [the owner said] he was dealing with, and there could also be a heating issue," said Sugar Camp Fire Chief Jason Goeldner. "We got an area to look, but we haven't gotten in there yet to actually try to do a thorough investigation yet."

No one was hurt.

+ Read More

Play Video

WAUSAU - Wausau Police call the death of a 77-year-old man "suspicious," which is why it's treating the death of Lyle Leith as a homicide. 

Tuesday morning, police responded to a home on the 1000 block of Kickbusch Street. They found Leith dead, and called the circumstances suspicious. We learned Leith's name late Wednesday afternoon.

+ Read More

Play Video

WAUSAU - Anger over last Wednesday's Florida school shooting could force Congress to find some agreement on gun control. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisconsin) thinks it's about time.

The debate on gun rights and public safety has been a big focus since 17 people died at Stoneman Douglas High School.

+ Read More

Play Video

TOMAHAWK - The Tomahawlk VFW donated two electric wheelchairs to Highground Veterans Memorial Park in Neillsville.

The park features 155 acres with a number of memorials focused on different wars.

"It's just a really great feeling knowing that they can do this and they can get there and spend the time they need to reflect on what they need to reflect on," said Highground Executive Director Jon Weiler.

Weiler said most of the veterans visiting have a hard time moving around the large park without assistance from a wheelchair.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here