IN OTHER NEWS
- A drug distributor from California hoped to flood northern Wisconsin with meth to create more addicts. Now, Marcos Castaneda faces life in federal prison. MADISON Castaneda, 37, pleaded guilty in federal court in Madison for providing nearly $6 million of meth between 2013 and 2016.
- If you're still waiting on those holiday gifts to come in the mail, you're not alone! RHINELANDER Cyber Monday orders hit an all-time high record, and now, UPS is struggling to keep up. Last week the company said to expect a two day delay on standard shipping time. So what does this mean for you? "You can get a little bit of a backlog. A lot of people have to do a lot of sorting with all those packages," says Postal Express manager Wendy Thompson. But that delay mainly applies to stores shipping to you. That's not so much the case for you shipping to a friend or family member. "From our area there hasn't been a noticeable delay," says Wendy. If you're a bit behind schedule sending you gifts, you still have time, but you need to move fast on UPS or FedEx ground shipping Friday. December 19th is the last day for USPS first class mail and FedEx Express. If you choose to go with UPS, Dec 18th is the deadline for 3 day shipping. The best way to keep an eye on your holiday shipment is to hang on to your receipt and make sure you save the tracking number.
- The fatal shooting of a 14 year old boy by a sheriff's deputy on a northern Wisconsin reservation has renewed discussions over whether the tribe should be policing itself. ODANAH Eighth-grader Jason Pero was killed by an Ashland County deputy about a month ago outside his home on Bad River Band reservation.
- After a year of hearings, arguments, and appeals, Marshfield Clinic finally got what it wanted on Thursday afternoon. RHINELANDER The Oneida County Board of Adjustment granted a permit for Marshfield Clinic to build a 12-bed, $35 million hospital in Minocqua. Marshfield Clinic Regional Medical Director Dr. William Melms said construction would likely begin in spring. "We are absolutely elated with the decision. We are very pleased," Melms said after the meeting.
- It costs nearly $240,000 to run Rhinelander's homeless shelter every year. RHINELANDER Frederick Place got an extra boost this month to help cover those costs with two grants totaling $8,000. "With our just shy of $240,000 annual operating budget, we typically only get $40,000 from the state and federal government. So we are raising that $200,000 every single year," said NATH Executive Director Tammy Modic.
- A Three Lakes man charged with sexually assaulting one child will now face charges for assaulting a second child. ONEIDA COUNTY Police believe David Teresinski, 59, sexually assaulted a child over the course of five years.
- Prosecutors needed to prove they have enough evidence to charge a 19-year-old in Vilas County with two homicide counts in the death of 20-year-old Connor Stephens. EAGLE RIVER On Thursday, Judge Neal Nielsen decided they have that evidence.