Loading

20°F

19°F

18°F

15°F

13°F

18°F

18°F

19°F

13°F

19°F

19°F

18°F
NEWS STORIES

UPDATE: Teen faces reckless homicide charges in Crandon car accident Submitted: 07/21/2014
Story By Newswatch 12 Team


CRANDON - Update 7/21/14

An 18-year-old Northwoods man faces two felonies for a car crash that killed a teenager last week.

Prosecutors will charge Austin Ginter with first degree reckless homicide and first degree reckless injury.

The crash happened on Old Eight Road near Crandon on July 13th. 15-year-old Chance Harcus was killed in the crash. Ginter and a 16-year-old girl were also hurt.

Witnesses told deputies the car looked like it was going 100 miles per hour before the crash. Ginter told deputies he was only driving about 45 miles per hour.

The 16-year-old girl didn't know how fast they were going. She said she had her eyes closed and had told Ginter to slow down. She only opened them as she felt the car sliding right before the crash.

Ginter is in Forest County Jail on a 15-thousand-dollar cash bond. The Laona man could spend more than 60 years in prison if convicted of both charges.

There isn't a date set for his first court appearance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 7/20/14

The driver of a car that crashed on Old 8 Road and killed a boy in Crandon last Sunday could spend up to 60 years in prison if he's convicted.

18-year-old Austin Ginter of Laona will face reckless homicide charges for the accident.

The crash killed 15-year-old Chance Harcus and seriously hurt a 16-year-old girl. Ginter was also hurt in the crash.

Forest County's special prosecutor says he faces charges of first degree reckless homicide and first degree reckless injury.

Ginter could also face more charges if the toxicology results come back positive.

Sunday, he sits in Forest County Jail on a $15,000 cash bond.

We don't yet know what caused the accident.

We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Story: 7/13/14

Investigators want to know what caused a deadly single car accident in Crandon Sunday. The accident happened on Old 8 Road around 1:00 p.m.

Forest County Sheriff's deputies say one person was pronounced dead on the scene. Two others were transported to Saint Mary's Hospital in Rhinelander with serious injuries.

The Forest County Sheriff's Department and Wisconsin State Patrol will investigate the accident.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

MERRILL - Census data show more people leaving many parts of northern Wisconsin. The population loss is a problem that continues to challenge rural parts of Wisconsin.

+ Read More

MADISON - Wisconsin's attempt to ban same-sex marriages will cost taxpayers more than $1 million.

+ Read More

MADISON - Wisconsin private investigators might lose a valuable investigative tool within the next few months.

A state Senate committee will likely advance a bill within weeks to ban the use of many GPS tracking devices on cars.

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - An ongoing drug investigation led to the arrest of five people in Rhinelander earlier this week.

Investigators believe 40-year-old Michael Steinmetz, Jr. and 38-year-old Jaime Rickert were making meth in their Rhinelander apartment.

According to the criminal complaint, Steinmetz admitted to investigators that he made meth and dumped the waste in the toilet in his apartment.

+ Read More

IRON COUNTY - Gogebic Taconite made official its decision to stop pursuing a mine in northern Wisconsin.

This week, the company withdrew its pre-application for an iron mine east of Mellen.

+ Read More

LAONA - The state's Natural Resources Board plays a major role in shaping how Wisconsin interacts with the natural world.

It's filled that role since its creation in the 1920s.

Now, Gov. Scott Walker wants to strip the citizen board of much of its power as part of his state budget proposal.

+ Read More

MADISON - The Wisconsin Supreme Court has canceled oral arguments it planned to hold next month on three cases related to the secret investigation into Gov. Scott Walker's 2012 recall campaign.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here