Loading

46°F

47°F

49°F

42°F

49°F

45°F

45°F

54°F

49°F
NEWS STORIES

Disagreement over antler-less deer hunt Submitted: 12/10/2013
Kalia Baker
Morning Anchor/Reporter
kbaker@wjfw.com


RHINELANDER - The antler-less deer hunt season opens Thursday.

Local legislators wanted to cancel the four day hunting season, but the DNR says that can't happen.

It would take at least six months to get through the administrative process to cancel any hunting season.

The DNR wants hunters to have a chance to hunt game before the season ends.

Jeremy Holtz is a DNR wildlife biologist in Rhinelander.

"The December antler-less hunt would simply be giving hunters who didn't get to hunt the first weekend--because they had to work, or they were in another part of the state--to fill a tag they already have," said Holtz. "So the odds of it having a significantly negative impact on the herd from a population management standpoint, I would consider them pretty low."

Republicans Tom Tiffany, Rob Swearingen, and Mary Czaja disagree. They say last year's late winter and high number of predators hurt the deer.

Now, legislators believe this year's early winter weather will continue to hurt the herd.

"My office in Madison, Representative Mary Czaja from Tomahawk, and certainly Senator Tiffany, have been receiving a lot of comments from frustrated sportsman regarding the low harvest of the deer season this year," said Rob Swearingen, Wisconsin State Representative. "As well as with the natural predators out there, and the early on set of icy conditions, we're worried that all of this together is going to create the perfect storm and take it's toll on these deer."

In August, two deer management units over-issued about 350 antler-less deer permits.

The DNR says it got about 254 of those permits back.

Last year in Oneida County, 74 deer were shot during the antler-less deer season.

Antler-less deer hunting is open from December 12 through December 15.




Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
Man who caused an elementary school to be put on lockdown could have charges dismissed Submitted: 08/27/2014

Play Video

RHINELANDER - Police think Michael Schettino pointed a handgun at another driver on Highway 51 in May. Police say he then drove through the parking lot of MHLT Elementary school in Minocqua. The school was put on lockdown because of what happened.

Schettino was in court Wednesday. He took a plea agreement. His two misdemeanors could be dismissed if he follows the terms of the agreement for two years.

"The state has the option if they have evidence indicating that you have not complied with the terms of the agreement to bring this matter back into court," Judge Michael Bloom told Schettino, "and if they presented evidence to establish that you were not in compliance that I could enter judgment on your pleas without any further proceedings and go immediately to sentencing."

+ Read More
Northwoods gun safety discussions following Arizona shooting instructor deathSubmitted: 08/27/2014

Play Video

RHINELANDER - The accidental death of a shooting instructor in Arizona raises questions about what kinds of guns children should learn to shoot.

A 9-year-old girl was learning how to fire a fully-automatic weapon on Monday. The recoil was too much for her to handle. As a result, she ended up firing several rounds uncontrollably and one of the rounds hit her instructor in the head. Some gun instructors in the Northwoods wonder why a young girl was using a fully-automatic weapon in the first place.

"Firearms training is an evolutionary thing," said Bruce Gary, an NRA certified shooting instructor. "You don't go from a training rifle to a machine gun. It was a horrible accident that frankly was preventable. And I don't understand why this instructor put a machine gun in the hands of a 9-year-old girl."

+ Read More
Antigo man charged for allegedly hitting boy with baseball batSubmitted: 08/27/2014

ANTIGO - An Antigo man could spend up to 40 years in prison for allegedly beating a 16-year-old boy with a baseball bat.

Court documents say 18-year-old Dylan Madderom told police that he hit the boy because the boy owed him a hundred dollars for marijuana. It happened Monday night near the walking trail by North Elementary School.

+ Read More
Deputies release new photos of wanted manSubmitted: 08/27/2014

VILAS COUNTY - Investigators think new photos will help find 38-year-old Eric Hall.

Vilas County deputies believe he has stolen multiple cars, committed several burglaries, was involved in a high speed chase, and assaulted a police officer since he was released from prison in June 2014.

+ Read More
Chippewa Falls man charged with 10th OWI in Oneida CountySubmitted: 08/27/2014

ONEIDA COUNTY - A Chippewa Falls man faces more than 12 years in prison if convicted of driving under the influence for the 10th time.

An Oneida County Sheriff's deputy stopped 43-year-old Edward Luedke just before 8 p.m. on August 22nd.

Court documents say the deputy noticed an SUV weaving in its lane and crossing the center line on Highway 17 near Hat Rapids Road.

The officer said Luedke had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and slow movement.

+ Read More
Poll shows strong support for Kenosha casinoSubmitted: 08/27/2014

Play Video

WISCONSIN - A poll shows strong support for a new tribal casino in Kenosha.

The Marquette University Law School poll released Wednesday shows 49 percent support the casino while 35 percent oppose it.

The Menominee Tribe wants to build an $810 million casino and Hard Rock Cafe complex in Kenosha. The project is running into opposition from the Forest County Potawatomi Tribe, which has a casino in Milwaukee.

+ Read More
Kenosha-area officials call for casino approvalSubmitted: 08/27/2014

MADISON - Leaders from southeastern Wisconsin and Democratic state lawmakers say Gov. Scott Walker should immediately approve the Menominee tribe's proposed casino in Kenosha because it would put people back to work.

They came together Wednesday to put pressure on Walker to approve the casino. The Bureau of Indian Affairs gave its OK for the casino a year ago but Walker has until Feb. 19 to sign off on it.

Walker said in a letter to lawmakers on Tuesday that he's moving cautiously because he's concerned about the effect on the state budget.

The Forest County Potawatomi has refused to make its annual casino revenue payment to the state as Walker negotiates with it.

Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says he thinks Walker is moving as quickly as he can.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here