Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Local college makes big fundraising pushSubmitted: 09/26/2013
Story By Lauren Stephenson


ANTIGO - Many people struggle to keep up with the rising cost of college.

One local technical college is trying to help.

Thursday is "A Day for NTC Students" at the Northcentral Technical College in Antigo.

Employees team up and call on area businesses to donate to the NTC Foundation.

The money goes to scholarships for NTC students.

"The program started because we have a need. Over 80 percent of our students are financially aidable and need assistance. Now this short term program that we're talking about today, those are for students who don't even have an eligibility for financial aid but still have a significant financial need," explains NTC Foundation Executive Director Jeannie Worden.

Langlade Hospital started a matching campaign a few years ago.

This year, it will match donations up to $5,000.

The hospital believes helping NTC students pay for their schooling ends up benefiting the hospital and its patients.

"25 percent of our nurses came from NTC. In the last year, about 70 percent of our medical assistants came out of the NTC program, and about 50 percent of the nurses we hired the last year. So you can see these are local people who are well-trained and it's an investment. This endowment is an investment in our community," says Langlade Hospital Executive Director David Schneider.

Medical students aren't the only NTC students that stay in the Antigo area once they grauduate.

72 percent of NTC students end up working for local businesses.

That means businesses that donate likely see a return investment.

The NTC Foundation hopes to raise $12,000 Thursday.

The program's raised more than $160,000 over the last 14 years.

The Wausau campus has its own fundraising day.

You can call (715) 803-1302 to donate, or visit the website linked below.

Related Weblinks:
NTC Foundation website

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

SPIRIT - On Monday, Edwin Blomberg stood at a podium and delivered Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address to a crowded Spirit Town Hall in southern Price County.

But there was nothing on the podium.

Blomberg, well into his 90s, recited the the speech completely from memory.

+ Read More

HAZELHURST - Late-night drivers will need to find another way to and from Minocqua Tuesday night.

Crews are closing US Highway 51 around the Bearskin Trail Bridge near Hazelhurst. They'll be putting in girders for a new bridge that will replace the iconic T-Bird Country bridge.

+ Read More

TOMAH - After the deaths of several veterans, a review of the Tomah Veterans Affairs Medical Center finds "systemic failures."

A staff report by the Republican majority of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee was released Today.

It found the VA inspector general's office discounted evidence and testimony.

+ Read More

CRANDON - When Crandon's Jared Moore first picked up a trumpet as a hobby three and a half years ago, he never thought he would have the opportunity to study at a prestigious performing arts high school.

Now, Jared could study at Interlochen Center For The Arts near Traverse City, Michigan, for his four years of high school.

+ Read More

TOMAHAWK - A Tomahawk police officer pulled an autistic boy to safety after the 10-year-old went too far into a river.

Saturday afternoon around 1 p.m., Tomahawk police got a call about an unattended child in the water near Kings Road and the Highway 51 bridge.  The child refused to come out.

+ Read More

WOODRUFF - Eighth-graders at Arbor Vitae-Woodruff Elementary presented a class gift Tuesday that was a little bit off the beaten path.

Their gift to the school was a new mountain bike trail, something they spent months fundraising for.

+ Read More

LAC DU FLAMBEAU - A fire destroyed the interior of a Lac du Flambeau home Monday night.

The fire started in the back bedroom of Vicki Doud's home.

All 10 residents of the home were there when the fire started. Everyone got out safely, but the inside is a charred mess.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here