Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Possible electrical fire destroys house Submitted: 08/26/2013
Story By Shardaa Gray

Possible electrical fire destroys house
Photos By Shardaa Gray

CONOVER - A family in Conover will come home to a destroyed house.

A fire started in the basement of a home in Conover around 11:30 this morning.

Power company workers alerted the Vilas County Sheriff's department.

They said they could smell smoke while they were working on Hunter Lake Road.

Conover, Eagle River and Land O' Lakes fire departments helped put out the fire.

Nobody was home at the time.

Conover Fire Chief Gary Vold isn't exactly sure how the fire started.

"Right now it's kind of undetermined. We had a heavy lightning storm last night, rolled through here," Vold said.

"If that ignited something a lot of lightning and stuff, but it's undetermined right now what started it or the origin of the fire."

The chief thought they'd be working the rest of the afternoon to clear out the house.

He says it's pretty common for this to happen during a thunder storm.

"Lightning can strike a tree and it could travel underground. It could hit the house," said Vold.

"I don't know if lightning hit the house or exactly what happened, but we have quite a few fires from electrical."

Crews saved a few items, but Vold believes the house is a total loss.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

ASHLAND - The Ashland School district suspends a teacher because of a social media post that followed the shooting death of a Native American student.

Ashland Superintendent Keith Hilts says the posts by Ojibwe language instructor Sandra Gokee were defamatory and inflammatory.

+ Read More

DURAND - A conservation club in northwestern Wisconsin says it will mount an albino deer accidentally shot by a hunter and use it as a teaching tool.

The state Department of Natural Resources says the hunter who mistakenly shot the white deer contacted authorities after learning he had killed the protected animal in Pepin County.

+ Read More

Play Video

LAND O' LAKES - Some artists learn about painting and pottery during art classes in school.

But one home schooled boy is finding other ways to perfect his art.

"Just being yourself and being creative," said 12-year-old Severt Beattie.

Beattie has a passion for painting.

"Sometimes I just want to be creative," said Beattie.
Beattie got inspired by art after discovering a family member was once a famous artist.

"My great grandpa was an artist. He has some really cool pictures he's made," said Beattie.

Beattie hits the books hard when he is getting home schooled. But often times, extra-curricular classes, like art class get overlooked.

"It makes me feel enjoyable and happy because I like all the colors," said Beattie.

+ Read More

Play Video

MERRILL - Merrill could be the newest local school district to rely on referendum money in its school budget.

The district faces a $1.8 million dollar operating deficit for next school year, and it has had to take from savings for years to keep the school running.

"We've been making cuts, and we've gotten in the habit of making cuts. Unfortunately, we became very good at making cuts," said Superintendent Dr. John Sample.

A consultant's survey got more than 1,600 responses from people in the district. It shows two-thirds of respondents support some sort of referendum to help pay for schools.

+ Read More

MERRILL - Merrill Fire Department wants to remind you to stay safe this Thanksgiving.

Deep-frying a turkey is a popular cooking style, but it's also the most dangerous way to prepare your bird.
 
You should never leave the fryer unattended because it only takes seconds to boil over.

Turkey fryer explosions can be massive.

Set up the fryer in an open-air space, away from kids and pets.

"Fire can expand at least two times the size every minute. Leaving for two or three minutes? You're looking at a pretty big fire," firefighter and paramedic Phillip Skoug.

For those deer hunters out there, never place your fryer near your canopy.

You should also never leave food cooking in your kitchen untended either.

+ Read More

Play Video

EAGLE RIVER - Eagle River Elementary School teacher Brenda Liermann believes kindergarten is all about exploring.

Thanks to a grant from 3M in Wausau, her students will get hands-on experience when it comes to exploring the STEM fields. 

"We need to have them experience the engineering and the technology," said Liermann.

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - Paging through sales flyers, setting your alarm clock extra early, and standing in line with hundreds of people usually go hand in hand on Black Friday.

It's a day retail stores have to prepare for in advance and a day shoppers can't wait for because of those deals. 

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here