Loading

13°F

12°F

14°F

10°F

17°F

14°F

17°F

14°F

17°F

14°F
NEWS STORIES

Possible electrical fire destroys house Submitted: 08/26/2013
Shardaa Gray
Reporter/Anchor
sgray@wjfw.com


Photos By Shardaa Gray

CONOVER - A family in Conover will come home to a destroyed house.

A fire started in the basement of a home in Conover around 11:30 this morning.

Power company workers alerted the Vilas County Sheriff's department.

They said they could smell smoke while they were working on Hunter Lake Road.

Conover, Eagle River and Land O' Lakes fire departments helped put out the fire.

Nobody was home at the time.

Conover Fire Chief Gary Vold isn't exactly sure how the fire started.

"Right now it's kind of undetermined. We had a heavy lightning storm last night, rolled through here," Vold said.

"If that ignited something a lot of lightning and stuff, but it's undetermined right now what started it or the origin of the fire."

The chief thought they'd be working the rest of the afternoon to clear out the house.

He says it's pretty common for this to happen during a thunder storm.

"Lightning can strike a tree and it could travel underground. It could hit the house," said Vold.

"I don't know if lightning hit the house or exactly what happened, but we have quite a few fires from electrical."

Crews saved a few items, but Vold believes the house is a total loss.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

KENOSHA - Police say 11 people were hurt but none seriously when a bus crashed on Interstate 94 in southeastern Wisconsin.

The Kenosha County sheriff's office says the coach-style commercial bus was returning from Milwaukee to the Chicago area when the driver suffered an apparent medical condition and collapsed about 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

+ Read More

OSHKOSH - A 40-year-old Sussex man has died after his vehicle fell through the ice on Lake Winnebago.

Emergency crews were called just before 7 a.m. Sunday to the lake about two miles east of Oshkosh's Merritt Street boat landing. The operator of an all-terrain vehicle called for help after watching the vehicle fall through.

+ Read More

MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee police say a 7-year-old boy has drowned while attending a birthday party at a hotel.

Police say the party was at the Comfort Suites Park Place hotel in northwest Milwaukee.

+ Read More

CALEDONIA - An elderly couple is dead after being struck by a sport utility vehicle as they left a church in southeastern Wisconsin.

Police say Oscar and Vernetta Lang, both 83 and from Caledonia, died after being struck about 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

+ Read More

MADISON - Lawmakers are set to reignite conversations this week about whether vaping, using electronic cigarettes and other vapor smoking devices, should be included in Wisconsin's smoking ban.

The ban took effect in 2010. It outlaws smoking in all public indoor locations, including restaurants and bars. But the ban does not currently apply to vaping, giving venue owners the right to decide whether or not to permit e-cigarettes.

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - Weddings can be a lot of fun, but many brides and grooms say it takes a lot of planning to make the big day one to remember. Sometimes that means numerous trips to find a location for the wedding as well as the dress, but brides-to-be found all they needed for their big day in one setting.

Just about every girl envisions what they're wedding would look like. From how their make-up will be done, to getting their make-up getting done, to what their dress looks like and how the cake will taste.

You could find all of that at the 2015 Magical Moments Bridal Expo in Rhinelander Saturday.

+ Read More

MEDFORD - 28 middle aged and elderly people will need to find housing after an apartment fire in Medford Saturday.

It happened a little before 1 p.m. The Medford Police Department says the fire happened in Riverview Village Apartments on the third floor.

Medford Police Chief Ken Coyer says a neighbor smelled and saw smoke.

The 28 people who lived there were displaced due to smoke, fire and water damage throughout the building. Red Cross helped them at Medford Area Senior High School to make arrangments for housing.

The chief says this was an accidental fire.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here