Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

UPDATE: West Nile now also found in Vilas CountySubmitted: 07/19/2013
Story By Newswatch 12 Team

EAGLE RIVER - From the Vilas County Health Department:

The Vilas County Public Health Department reports a dead crow found in Vilas County on 7/9/13 has tested positive for West Nile virus. This is the first bird that tested positive for West Nile virus in Vilas County since surveillance for the mosquito-transmitted virus began May 1.

"The positive bird means that residents of Vilas County need to be more vigilant in their personal protective measures to prevent mosquito bites," Gina Egan, Health Officer/ Public Health Director said.

West Nile virus is spread to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes acquire the virus by feeding on infected birds.

"Vilas County residents should be aware of West Nile virus and take some simple steps to protect themselves against mosquito bites," Egan said. "The West Nile virus seems to be here to stay, so the best way to avoid the disease is to reduce exposure to and eliminate breeding grounds for mosquitoes."

The Vilas County Public Health Department recommends the following:

Limit time spent outside at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active.
Apply insect repellant to clothing as well as exposed skin since mosquitoes may bite through clothing.
Make sure window and door screens are in good repair to prevent mosquito entry.
Properly dispose of items that hold water, such as tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots, or discarded tires.
Clean roof gutters and downspouts for proper drainage.
Turn over wheelbarrows, wading pools, boats, and canoes when not in use.
Change the water in birdbaths and pet dishes at least every three days.
Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas, and hot tubs; drain water from pool covers.
Trim tall grass, weeds, and vines since mosquitoes use these areas to rest during hot daylight hours.
Landscape to prevent water from pooling in low-lying areas.

The majority of people (80%) who are infected with West Nile virus do not get sick. Those who do become ill usually experience mild symptoms such as fever, headache, muscle ache, rash, and fatigue. Less than 1% of people infected with the virus get seriously ill with symptoms that include high fever, muscle weakness, stiff neck, disorientation, mental confusion, tremors, confusion, paralysis, and coma. Older adults (age 50+) and those with compromised immune systems are at greater risk of developing central nervous system illness that can be fatal.

The Department of Health Services has monitored the spread of West Nile virus since 2001 among wild birds, horses, mosquitoes, and people. During 2002, the state documented its first human infections and 52 cases were reported that year.

During 2012, 57 cases of West Nile virus infection were reported among Wisconsin residents, the highest annual number of cases reported since surveillance began in Wisconsin. West Nile virus infections in humans have been reported from June through October; however, most reported becoming ill with West Nile virus in August and September.

The Wisconsin Division of Public Health will continue surveillance for West Nile virus until the end of the mosquito season. To report a sick or dead crow, blue jay, or raven, please call the Dead Bird Reporting Hotline at 1-800-433-1610.



Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 01/16/2017

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos responds to harsh criticism from Rhinelander's Robert Kinney, a former member of the Ethics Commission who resigned a month ago saying the board "require(s) too much secrecy and too little transparency."

We'll tell you why it's important to stop the spread of aquatic invasive species even in winter.

We'll introduce you to a Land O' Lakes elementary student who didn't want anything for himself this Christmas but instead wanted help from the community so he could give to his classmates.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

RICE LAKE - Police say a man in a small northwestern Wisconsin community was killed after he followed through on his threat to explode a bomb in his apartment building.

Rice Lake police say 12 to 14 residents were evacuated before the explosion and subsequent fire that destroyed the one-story building Sunday night.

+ Read More

MADISON - Gov. Scott Walker promised to reshape the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources before he took office  -- and he has.

Now more even changes could be in store as Walker and his fellow Republicans continue to push the agency further toward what the governor has called a customer service foundation.

Critics say it adds up to a diminished agency.

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - Starting a career in the medical field can be tough. That's why some Northwoods organizations are working together to promote job opportunities.

On Saturday, Rennes Health and Rehab in Rhinelander hosted a job fair open house.

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER -
Civil rights groups across the country fight for equality everyday. Once a year, people across the nation recognize one of the most well-known activists in history, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

To celebrate Monday's holiday, the Northwoods Unitarian Universalist Fellowship invited a civil rights activist to speak at Nicolet College in Rhinelander. 

+ Read More

Play Video

EAGLE RIVER - After a two-year hiatus the Eagle River Ice Castle returned back. Many people gathered to watch Sunday while firefighters added some finishing touches. 

Workers placed decorative ice sculptures on the top corners of each castle tower. Firefighters also started to string lights around the castle.  

+ Read More

WAUSAU - The South Area Fire and Emergency Response District responded to a fire at a Rib Mountain Sam's Club Saturday.

Firefighters got the call around 2:30 p.m.

According to Captain Doug Jennings, the fire was on the roof of the store. Jennings says a heating unit caught fire.

Everyone was evacuated and no one was hurt.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here