Loading

32°F

34°F

34°F

32°F

33°F

32°F

32°F

37°F

34°F
NEWS STORIES

UPDATE: Search for Suspect in Boston Marathon Bombing ContinuesSubmitted: 04/19/2013
Story By WJFW News Team

BOSTON, MASS. - Key moments related to the search for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, based on reports from the Middlesex County district attorney, Massachusetts State Police, and Boston police.

At 5:10 p.m. Thursday, investigators of the bombings release photographs and video of two suspects. They ask for the public's help in identifying the men.

Around 10:20 p.m., shots are fired on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, just outside Boston.

At 10:30 p.m., an MIT campus police officer who was responding to a disturbance is found shot multiple times in his vehicle, apparently in a confrontation with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects. He is later pronounced dead.

Shortly afterward, two armed men reportedly carjack a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge. A man who was in the vehicle is held for about a half hour and then released unharmed at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge.

Police soon pursue the carjacked vehicle in Watertown, just west of Cambridge.

Some kind of explosive devices are thrown from the vehicle in an apparent attempt to stop police.
The carjackers and police exchange gunfire.

A transit police officer is seriously injured.

One suspect, later identified as Suspect No. 1 in the marathon bombings, is critically injured and later pronounced dead.

Authorities launch a manhunt for the other suspect.

Around 1 a.m. Friday, gunshots and explosions are heard in Watertown, just outside Boston.

Dozens of police officers and FBI agents converge on a Watertown neighborhood. A helicopter circles overhead.

Around 4:30 a.m., Massachusetts state and Boston police hold a short outdoor news briefing.

They tell people living in that section of eastern Watertown to stay in their homes.

They identify the carjackers as the same men suspected in the marathon bombings.

Overnight, police also release a photograph of a man believed to be Suspect No. 2, apparently taken from store video earlier in the evening at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Cambridge.

He is wearing a grey hoodie-style sweatshirt.

Around 6:35 a.m., The Associated Press reports that the bomb suspects are from a Russian region near Chechnya and lived in the United States for at least 1 year.

Around 6:45 a.m., The Associated Press identifies the surviving Boston bomb suspect as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, who has been living in Cambridge, Mass.

UPDATE: Around 8 a.m. Boston's police commissioner says all of Boston must stay in their homes as the search for the surviving suspect in the marathon bombings continues.

UPDATE: Around 8:40 a.m., a U.S. law enforcement official and the uncle of the suspects confirm that the name of the slain suspect is Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's older brother.

Around 10:35 a.m., the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth says it closed its campus and ordered an evacuation after confirming that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is registered there. The school says it closed the campus ``out of an abundance of caution'' as the search continued.

Around 11:30 a.m., Massachusetts State Police explain that the brothers suspected in the bombings were in the Honda CRV when they carjacked the Mercedes SUV. For a while, each drove one of the two vehicles, but then ditched the Honda and reunited in the Mercedes.

Around 12:35 p.m., state police in Watertown say officers are searching door-to-door but still have not found the bombing suspect.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
Substitute teachers will get paid more.Submitted: 10/30/2014

Play Video

RHINELANDER - Substitute teachers working for the Rhinelander School District will get paid more.

The district superintendent thinks the pay increase will make it easier for them to find substitutes. The district has had a difficult time finding subs since they started paying substitute teachers less than other districts.

Last year, they changed long term sub pay from 190 dollars to 135 dollars per day.

Some local subs started working for other districts.

+ Read More
DNR reminds hunters to check boundaries Submitted: 10/30/2014

WISCONSIN - Wisconsin wildlife leaders want to remind deer hunters to learn the boundaries of new management units by reviewing county lines.

The DNR reduced the number of traditional management units this year from 134 to 72 units based on county boundaries in an effort to simplify the hunt.

The agency says hunters need to have a good idea where county lines are so they know where units begin and end.

The new units don't follow roads or rivers like they did in the past.

+ Read More
Clothing drive organizers need helpSubmitted: 10/30/2014

Play Video

ANTIGO - A clothing drive will help hundreds of families in Langlade County stay warm this winter. Salvation Army and AmeriGas will run the Keeping Our Community Warm clothing drive. The program clothed 350 people last year, but organizers say they'll need more clothes this year.

"We're always open for someone to volunteer their time," said AmeriGas Customer Service Rep. Julie Brandt. "Especially to go to the donation boxes and bring the coats to AmeriGas."

+ Read More
Wisconsin GAB predicts 2.5 million to vote in 2014 election Submitted: 10/30/2014

Play Video

MADISON - Wisconsin election officials are predicting a little more than half of the state's voting-age population will go to the polls next week.

The Government Accountability Board officials said Thursday it expects about 2.5 million people will vote Tuesday. That's about 56.5 percent of the 4.3 million people in Wisconsin old enough to vote.

GAB officials say the turnout should be similar to the 2012 gubernatorial recall election, which saw about 57.8 percent of the voting-age population go to the polls. The 2012 presidential election, by contrast, saw 70 percent turnout.

+ Read More
Wisconsin Rapids man gets life in 2008 homicideSubmitted: 10/30/2014

Play Video

WISCONSIN RAPIDS - A 55-year-old Wisconsin Rapids man has been sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison after a jury convicted him of killing his daughter's ex-boyfriend.

Jurors deliberated for less than two hours Thursday before finding Joseph Reinwand guilty of first-degree intentional homicide.

Wood County Judge Greg Potter sentenced Reinwand to life in prison with no eligibility for extended supervision.

Reinwand was charged in the 2008 shooting death of 35-year-old Dale Meister.

+ Read More
Defense rests in Wisconsin Rapids homicide trialSubmitted: 10/30/2014

WISCONSIN RAPIDS - The attorneys for a 55-year-old Wisconsin Rapids man accused of killing his daughter's ex-boyfriend have rested their case after two days of witness testimony.

Joseph Reinwand is charged with first-degree intentional homicide in the 2008 shooting death of 35-year-old Dale Meister. Reinwand decided not the take the stand Wednesday in his own defense.

+ Read More
Northwoods Highway Departments prep for first snowfall Submitted: 10/30/2014

Play Video

BOULDER JUNCTION - Northern Wisconsin likely faces the first significant snowfall of the year Thursday night.

That means highway departments are prepping for the start of snow-removal season.

Last year's winter was tough on Wisconsin highway departments.

Vilas County is making sure they're ready to go this year.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here