Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Former Area Boston Marathoners React to BombingsSubmitted: 04/15/2013
Story By Newswatch 12 Sports

Former Area Boston Marathoners React to Bombings
BOSTON - What most people would say is the unthinkable happened in Boston on Monday. Just as thousands of marathoners were crossing the finish line, two bombs exploded.

Three people were killed, and more than one hundred people were injured.

Those numbers could rise.

It ruins what has become an annual tradition.

Nearly 27,000 people took part in the historic race. All 50 states and 73 other countries all represented.


It's a sad time for all Americans. For former Boston Marathon runners from the Northwoods, it's even tougher.

"It's hard to comprehend something like that happening at a marathon," says Dan Lemke of Tomahawk. He ran the Boston Marathon in 2003. "It's a horrible crime, and a sad day in the history of U.S. Sports."

Blaine Nyberg of Minocqua ran the Boston Marathon the last three years. He missed this year's race because of medical issues. However the four other runners in his group were back this year.

"The first thing I did was text Matt Thomas and Dr. Rick Fossen and asked them if they were o.k.," adds Nyberg. "Both texted me back right away and said they had already finished and were a block away from the initial blast."

The other runners in the group were approximately 20-30 minutes behind those who were near the finish line. They were rerouted to another street to meet their families. The group of runners were all safe.

Police in New York City and London are stepping up security following explosions at the Boston Marathon. The London Marathon is Sunday.

Security at the White House was also beefed up after the explosions. No one was allowed to walk on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Monday night's NHL game in Boston was postponed. Tuesday
night's NBA game also in Boston was cancelled.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

LINCOLN COUNTY - The Lincoln County Sheriff's office found $1,000 worth of meth in a Merrill man's car. 

Police pulled over the 29-year-old's car because he had a felony warrant for his arrest. The man's name is being withheld until he's been formally charged. 

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - DNA evidence from a pair of sweatpants could link a Northwoods man to a violent sexual assault. Prosecutors offered up some of that evidence against Richard Loppnow in Oneida County court on Wednesday morning.

The victim accuses Loppnow, 38, of forcing her into several sexual activities twice on his property south of Eagle River back on October 28 and 29th of 2017.  

The criminal complaint shows the first assault happened in a building on Loppnow's property.  Testimony revealed claims that Loppnow held a gun to the victim's head.

"[Loppnow was] advising that she could either be humiliated or shot in the head," Oneida County Detective Sergeant Ryan Rossing testified.  "She chose to be humiliated due to not wanting to be harmed."

After later moving to a mobile home trailer on the property, the victim claims Loppnow pointed a sawed-off shotgun or handgun to her head and gave her several options.

+ Read More

TOMAHAWK - Lemon Bar and Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler can be more than just bakery desserts.

They're flavors at one Tomahawk ice cream shop.

The Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe will open its doors at 2:00 p.m. this afternoon.

Owner Pat Berg says a couple of people will be already waiting in line for the door to be opened.

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - Oneida County Sheriff Grady Hartman wants the job for another term.

Hartman submitted his nomination papers to the county clerk's office on Monday.

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - Interim Rhinelander City Administrator Keith Kost turned in his resignation Wednesday to take effect immediately. 

Kost took over the position in February 2017 after former administrator Kristina Aschenbrenner was fired in August 2016.

+ Read More

Play Video

MERRILL - People keep asking Northwoods veterans officers the same question.

When will the new national cemetery near Rhinelander open?

At an information session in Merrill on Wednesday, the VA said design plans are about 35 percent done. But a John Knapp, a VA representative, couldn't give a timeline on when construction might start or finish.

He said it depends on the contractor, the weather, and approval from the VA.

+ Read More

MACKINAW CITY, MI - Officials say underwater photos show two electric cables were severed in what Michigan's attorney general says was a tugboat anchor strike in the waterway that connects Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.

An investigative team led by the U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday a remotely controlled vehicle had obtained images of the damage site beneath the Straits of Mackinac. The two severed cables were among six owned by American Transmission Co. that are stretched along the lake floor.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here