Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Former Area Boston Marathoners React to BombingsSubmitted: 04/15/2013
Story By Newswatch 12 Sports


BOSTON - What most people would say is the unthinkable happened in Boston on Monday. Just as thousands of marathoners were crossing the finish line, two bombs exploded.

Three people were killed, and more than one hundred people were injured.

Those numbers could rise.

It ruins what has become an annual tradition.

Nearly 27,000 people took part in the historic race. All 50 states and 73 other countries all represented.


It's a sad time for all Americans. For former Boston Marathon runners from the Northwoods, it's even tougher.

"It's hard to comprehend something like that happening at a marathon," says Dan Lemke of Tomahawk. He ran the Boston Marathon in 2003. "It's a horrible crime, and a sad day in the history of U.S. Sports."

Blaine Nyberg of Minocqua ran the Boston Marathon the last three years. He missed this year's race because of medical issues. However the four other runners in his group were back this year.

"The first thing I did was text Matt Thomas and Dr. Rick Fossen and asked them if they were o.k.," adds Nyberg. "Both texted me back right away and said they had already finished and were a block away from the initial blast."

The other runners in the group were approximately 20-30 minutes behind those who were near the finish line. They were rerouted to another street to meet their families. The group of runners were all safe.

Police in New York City and London are stepping up security following explosions at the Boston Marathon. The London Marathon is Sunday.

Security at the White House was also beefed up after the explosions. No one was allowed to walk on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Monday night's NHL game in Boston was postponed. Tuesday
night's NBA game also in Boston was cancelled.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 04/25/2017

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

The Lincoln County D.A. determined that the deputy involved in a shooting in late February was justified in his actions. We'll show you the dash cam footage of the shooting that was just released.

We'll take you live to the Vilas County Courthouse where 36-year-old Rodney Teets is being tried for sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman at knife point in July 2015.

And a Wausau boy wanted to see a wheelchair-friendly playground in his own backyard. Unfortunately, he died before that happened. But that didn't stop his family from keeping their promise. We'll talk with the boy's father and show you how he is making plans for the playground to be built in a Wausau park.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

MINNEAPOLIS - The upper Midwest timber industry is welcoming the Trump administration's announcement that it's imposing tariffs averaging 20 percent on softwood lumber entering the United States from Canada.

The industry has been struggling in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The housing market crash in 2008 cut demand for softwood lumber used to build homes, including the products affected by the administration's move.

+ Read More

MADISON - A Wisconsin man accused of stealing a cache of weapons and sending an anti-government manifesto to the White House failed to stand for a federal judge at his arraignment.

Joseph Jakubowski appeared in court in Madison Tuesday on felony possession and theft of firearms charges.

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - You can get almost anywhere around Pine Lake on an ATV or UTV.  But there are two key Oneida County highways that don't currently allow those vehicles.  Now, a Rhinelander-area ATV club is pushing the county to change that.

The Pine Lake ATV/UTV Club hopes the county will allow access on highways W and C.  The club formed about a year ago and got town approval to open access to all Pine Lake roads except for North and West Birchwood drives.

+ Read More

Play Video

WOODRUFF - Sixty-three Wildfires burned all across the state in the last week.

The DNR suspended burning permits in 44 counties Monday, including all counties in the Northwoods.

The fire danger level ranged from "High" to "Very High" in most counties.

DNR fire crews have been on stand-by all day Monday.

"On days like today we are fully staffed and on high alert. All our stations are pre-positioning equipment. We're taking equipment from one part of the state and moving it to more critical areas. We are definitely on high alert," said Wildfire Prevention Specialist Catherine Koele.

+ Read More

Play Video

MOLE LAKE - Dozens of members of the Sokoagon Chippewa community came together Monday morning to participate in Earth Day festivities.

Armed with large garbage bags, metal grabbers and plastic gloves, members picked up garbage and debris along a ten mile stretch of the reservation.

One volunteer worked the majority of the day in a blackberry bush, grabbing anything that didn't fit with the natural scenery.

"I would rather see green grass and green trees than tin cans, aluminum cans and plastic," said the volunteer.

57 volunteers came out to help.
Sokoagen Chippewa Environmental Director Tina Van Zile wanted to celebrate Earth Day on a week day because she believed more people would participate.

"Litter bothers me really bad," said Van Zile.

+ Read More

Play Video

VILAS COUNTY - Twelve jurors will consider a he said, she said case involving accusations of a sexual assault at knife point.

The trial for 36-year-old Rodney Teets began in Vilas County Court Monday morning.

Teets is accused of sexually assualting a 19 year old woman at knife point in July 2015.

He faces three counts of first degree sexual assault, which he will try to fight in trial.

After several hours of jury selection, attorneys began their opening statements Monday afternoon.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here