Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Town of Lincoln Gets New Town Hall And More Space Submitted: 03/30/2013
Story By Shardaa Gray


TOWN OF LINCOLN - A new building, a new way of life, that's what local residents see when they look at their new town hall.

"It's so much nicer for handicap because the old building we had a ramp on the side," said Town of Lincoln resident, Kathy Gibbs.

"We had to come in a door that was right in the corner and it was really difficult for handicaps. So that in itself was a big improvement."

One of the main reasons the town wanted a new building was space restriction.

"Our old building is very inadequate," Town Board Chairwoman, Lynne Black said.

"The one room wasn't even half the size of this meeting room. We had to suffice for everything we did including our meetings and our elections."

The cost to build the new facility was more than $600,000.

"That's the amount tax payers awarded to us at a public meeting. We could spend up to $660,000 and we are very close to that, but we are within budget." said Black.

As soon as the road limits are lifted, the old building will be torn down.

"I plan for landscaping possibly black topping for parking. We could accommodate well over a hundred cars if necessary," said Town of Lincoln Supervisor, Larry Sommer.

"That will all be in the planning stages once we accomplish that next year."

The building will be available to more than just city workers.

"We've never had an area where it can be rented for weddings or baptisms or any kind of social functions," Sommer said.

"We now have a site which will accommodate 100, 150 individuals."

And with the election right around the corner, residents are elated about this new facility.

"The old one was one little room that was barely big as the entry way and people even had to stand outside when we had a good turn out and stuff," said Gibbs.

"Very cramped and crowded. So this is just going to be wonderful for people."

Tuesday's election will be held here at the new facility.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 01/19/2017

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

The T.B. Scott Library in Merrill will be constructing solar panels this spring. We'll tell you about the fundraising efforts and the plans for the panels.

The manager of an Oneida and Vilas county bus service is asking the community for patience. We'll tell you about Northwoods Transit Connections and how it is trying to keep up with demand.

And the Lakeland Memory Cafe at a church in Arbor Vitae opened for the first time today. We'll tell you how volunteers hope it will help people who suffer from memory loss.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

MADISON - Wisconsin's unemployment rate is 4 percent, the lowest it's been since January 2001.

The state Department of Workforce Development reported Thursday that the rate was 4 percent in December, down slightly from 4.1 percent in November.

+ Read More

Play Video

TOMAHAWK - High schoolers in Tomahawk sat across from local business professionals on Wednesday, answering questions in an interview setting.

The mock interview event is one of many that high school teacher Olivia Dachel helped create. Earlier this month, Gov. Scott Walker honored Dachel and 14 other Wisconsin people and organizations with a Governor's Financial Literacy Award.

+ Read More

Play Video

EAGLE RIVER - Patti Underhill spends her days crafting.

"Basically I like to sew," she said. "When I was young, I made my own Barbie doll clothes and my mom showed me how to sew."

It's a hobby that--now in her retirement--is paying off for Underhill in small ways. She is one of 29 vendors who volunteers her time to work in the Eagle River Serve Senior Craft Shop. Vendors keep 70 percent of the profits, and the other 30 percent goes back to the shop or includes sales tax.

+ Read More

Play Video

MOLE LAKE - When you drive through Mole Lake, you'll notice a lot of solar panels.

They're part of a project tribal leaders have worked on for more than a year, and they hope it will save the community a lot in energy costs.

+ Read More

Play Video

TOMAHAWK - Fishermen who like the Grandmother Flowage near Tomahawk needed to find a new place to fish this past fall.

The Packaging Corporation of America lowered the water level 14 feet to repair the dam there.

PCA owns the dam that controls the flowage.

The DNR recommended emptying the flowage a quarter inch per hour, which comes to about six inches per day.

+ Read More

MINOCQUA - A Green Bay man died in a snowmobile crash in Minocqua Tuesday night.

The Minocqua Police Department says the crash happened at 7:13 p.m. on Lower Kaubashine Road near the intersection of Camp Nine Road and Cedar Falls Drive.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here