ANTIGO - There wasn't a dry eye at the Antigo Palace theater Sunday afternoon.
The well-known documentary Honor Flight was shown to the community to celebrate the veterans of Antigo.
"To see this video it just puts a lump in my throat." said Korean War Veteran, Keith Wilson.
The documentary follows the story of four World War II veterans and their journey on the honor flight to see the memorial built for them in 2004 in Washington D.C.
44 Antigo veterans have gone already.
"They brought their families, they brought their grandchildren, they brought their spouses to share with them the experience that they had on the honor flight." Never Forgotten Honor Flight Co-Founder, Jim Campbell said.
The documentary is making its way across Wisconsin and the country, but the Palace theater did something different for Antigo veterans.
"I come from a family of veterans. My uncle was killed in a war, my father was a veteran and my brothers family is all military," said Palace Co-Owner, Barb Suick.
"They've never been thanked properly and after sixty years building this memorial, it's about time that they got what was due."
The Antigo community honored the veterans by giving them a reception as well as viewing the movie for free here at the theater, but one veteran we spoke with thinks the story is a lot deeper than just a documentary.
"With the trouble that we're having now, things have changed completely and yet there's people who don't like each other," Wilson said.
"But this country has to learn to live together and love each other and get along better."
If you think this movie is another traditional documentary, you might want to think again.
"Anybody who gets a chance to see this documentary, do so," said Honor Flight Member, Donald Halverson.
"They'll get a different perspective on what our nation went through and the men and women that fought so we are a free country."
The movie will show again March 17th at the Palace Theater.
MAUSTON - Authorities are investigating the death of a person who was found unresponsive in Decorah Lake early Friday.
Kyle Lynch, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources warden for Juneau County, says he was called to the scene to assist in a boat search about 1:30 a.m. He also says the Mauston Fire Department recovered the body, which was found in the water.
The Mauston Police Department says attempts were made to rescue the individual, but the Juneau County Coroner's Office pronounced the individual dead at the scene. Police have provided few other details, and the victim's name has not been released.
WAUSAU - This has been Wisconsin's deadliest gun-deer season in the past five years, with two shooting fatalities already recorded.
Daily Herald Media reports (http://wdhne.ws/1HvNth3 ) that the two fatalities brought to an end a three-year series of seasons that had been free of firearm deaths. Four other hunters also have been wounded.
According to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, hunters violated some of the fundamental rules of gun safety in all the incidents.
A man was killed last Sunday in Columbia County when he was shot while passing a loaded rifle to a companion in a tree stand. Wearing mittens, she grabbed the gun near the trigger and it went off. On Monday, a hunter in Waushara County was killed by a stray bullet.
APPLETON - The U.S. Marshals Service says a convicted sex offender who was wanted for violating the terms of his release has been arrested in Appleton.
The agency says 63-year-old L.C. Streeter, of Milwaukee, was previously convicted of four separate sexual assaults from 1976 to 1985. Wisconsin committed him as a sexually violent person in 1996, and he remained in treatment until his release in 2013 under intensive supervision.
The service said in a statement that he cut off his GPS and electronic monitoring bracelets and fled supervision on Monday, resulting in a warrant for his arrest. Federal marshals and Appleton police arrested him without incident in Appleton on Friday.
Kevin Carr, the U.S. marshal for eastern Wisconsin, says Streeter was "an absolute danger to the community based upon his past convictions."
TOMAH - The Tomah Veterans Affairs Medical Center says it has adopted another plan to improve patient care.
The La Crosse Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/1QMsDMZ) that Friday's release of the "100-day plan" comes almost 11 months after media reports that veterans at the center were prescribed excessive doses of opioid pain-killers and that employees who spoke out faced retaliation from top officials.
The plan, which follows a 30-day plan announced in May, outlines steps for improving access to care, employee engagement and restoring trust.
Among other things, it calls for recruitment of psychiatric staff, employee forums and listening sessions, and opening an employee wellness center.
Several Tomah VA officials — including former Director Mario Desanctis and former Chief of Staff David Houlihan — have been fired since the problems emerged early this year.
Disclaimer: All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Rockfleet Broadcasting / Northland Television, Inc. and By Request Web Designs shall not be held responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints.