IN OTHER NEWS
- You won't find any pesticide sprays at one Antigo apple orchard, but you will find pigs. ANTIGO Grandview Orchard and Nursery Stock sits on the highest point in Langlade County. Lisa Rettinger bought the orchard two years ago with the plan to manage it naturally. She's still in the transition process of going organic, but she doesn't use chemical pesticides. Orchard pigs do some grazing and eat wind-fallen apples. Solo cups and milks gallons make for moth and maggot traps. Lisa does most of the work by herself every day; much of her work is observation of the orchard. "Going through the orchard, what is going on, monitoring pest traps, and looking at the leaves, looking at the whole orchard," says Lisa. Grandview's season will be done at the end of the month. You can find Lisa at the Wausau Indoor Farmers Market through the winter. Click below for more info.
- Lawyers expect to call "a number" of expert witnesses in the Oneida County homicide case against Ellen Tran. RHINELANDER Finding and vetting those experts could take months, lawyers told a judge on Tuesday in court. Tran is charged with causing the death of her 20-month-old stepson, Avery Edwards, at a Rhinelander home in April. Prosecutors and defense attorneys will spend until February to identify those witnesses. After that, the case could go to trial.
- Lumber, logging, and the Connor family make up a lot of Laona's history. But some people say the rural town could be losing a lot of its history. LAONA A group of people want to preserve that history and it's starting with one building.
- Chris Sandstrom knows that, like hockey, his task is all about precision. RHINELANDER "Trying to guess this doesn't work too well," said Sandstrom, kneeling on the ground at Rhinelander Ice Arena on Tuesday morning. Sandstrom and a small crew have spent the last two days carefully preparing every inch of the rink. "You can't make a mistake. If you make a mistake, it can't be redone," he said.
- The Tri County Council will hold a candlelight vigil on Friday to honor those who lost their lives to domestic violence in Wisconsin last year. RHINELANDER The statewide homicide report says 73 people were killed as a result of domestic violence in 2016.
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he thinks NFL players should stop protesting during the national anthem. MADISON The Republican former presidential hopeful sent a letter Monday to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith saying he believes players are showing disrespect for the flag and veterans.
- Cross Country teams enter the postseason this weekend. Rhinelander runners are hoping to have their best race yet. RHINELANDER Their season has been leading up to this weekend's sectional meet in Waupaca. Rhinelander's top runner, Alayna Franson, knows what the state meet feels like and is hoping to get back there. As the cross country season comes to a close and the air gets cooler, the competition heats up. "I'm just hoping to stay with the front pack, get a good time, close to whoever is in the front," said Franson.
And for senior runner Alayna Franson, that means the battle to get to the state meet is on.
"I have really high hopes for myself, high goals, I want to make it to state hopefully place at state," said Franson.