Loading

58°F

56°F

59°F

56°F

53°F

59°F

60°F

56°F

51°F

60°F

59°F

61°F
Search
NEWS STORIES

Rhinelander family receives gift after car was stolen while warming upSubmitted: 01/23/2013
Story By Hayley Tenpas


RHINELANDER - The generosity of a local business brings a happy ending for a Rhinelander family.

The Lund family's Monday started off like it did for many of us- warming up the car.

That's until their truck was stolen, right from their own driveway.

A local business heard their story, and decided they wanted to help out.


Stories like this one sound like they're made for the movies.

" After like 20 minutes of running we noticed the vehicle driving off and it wasn't my wife or me driving," said Eric Lund.

The Lund family's truck was stolen. Right from their driveway in Rhinelander.

"It's kind of a scary thing, your vehicle leaving and not knowing who's in it," said Lund.

But like any good movie, this story has a happy ending.

When Sounds & Motion in Rhinelander heard the Lund's story, they knew they had to help out.

"I read the story about the family who had their vehicle stolen when it was being warmed up and I thought that a remote starter for that family would be a great way to just spread the word about what remote starters can do and some of the advantages they have," said Nate Scholten, owner of Sounds & Motion.

Sounds & Motion installed the Lund family's remote starter free of charge Wednesday afternoon.

" I'm very relieved and overwhelmed, you know? Nate from sounds and motion is a great person and it's an excellent business here, not only did he install a remote starter in the truck for us, but now, we feel safe at home. We don't have to worry about someone stealing our vehicle," said Lund.

It's a relief coming from a business that cares.

"I'm most proud of just the fact that I'm able to help. It's not just me it's all the guys here. They all contribute, significantly," said Scholten.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

PHILLIPS - Dozens of manufacturing workers in Phillips could face hard times in the next few months. The Georgia-Pacific plant in town will close on October 27, and 53 employees will be laid off.

Georgia-Pacific told us the workers are great, but a poor market for specialty wood board products is forcing the closure.

The plant closure could be a challenge for those laid-off workers, but it could also be an opportunity for a new career.

+ Read More

Play Video

VILAS COUNTY - Whether you're in the Northwoods for Labor Day Weekend or you call it home, you will have to be more careful around mosquitoes.

A dead crow in Vilas County tested positive for West Nile Virus, which is carried by mosquitoes.

According to a Vilas County Public Health Department press release, this is the first bird this summer to test positive for it.

Gina Egan of the Vilas County Health Department said over the years the county has found infected birds.

Egan suggests avoiding mosquitoes and wearing bug spray. She also suggests getting rid of standing water outside your home, such as bird baths or gutters.

Public health nurses stress that most people who do get West Nile do not get sick.

"Twenty percent of the people have it really mild," said Oneida County public health nurse Dawn Klink. "Eighty percent of the people have no symptoms. And less than one percent get really really deathly ill. And those are usually the ones that get tested for it and go in. Other people just think they've got a bug and don't go in."

Nurses want you to call the local health department if you do see a dead bird.

If you do feel you have severe symptoms of West Nile, nurses say to go to your doctor to get tested. 

+ Read More

Play Video

MINOCQUA - Heading back to school makes many students stress about what they are going to wear, especially when it comes to that first day look. And educators at one Northwoods school want their students to know that dressing for success, is more important than dressing to fit in.

At Lakeland Union High School, the dress code is designed to promote making wise fashion choices. Administrators say they want students to get in the routine of dressing, as if they're going to work.

"We're teaching them how to get ready for college and how to get ready for a career that they're going to be going into, 'career and college readiness', we want to make sure that they understand 'dressing for success', and a lot of times we spend a lot of time talking from that point of view," said Lakeland Union High School principal Jim Bouche.

Lakeland Union High School doesn't require uniforms, but they do have specific guidelines in place. They don't spell out what students can wear, but instead tell them what they can't. The overall goal is to keep kids focused in class.

+ Read More

Play Video

GREEN BAY - The Packers won't have Jordy Nelson this season. Other players are still hurt to some level as well.

However, some packer fans aren't worried. They have faith Aaron Rodgers and the team have what it takes to make it all the way to the Super Bowl.

+ Read More

Play Video

WAUSAU - The First Thursday means more than just a day in Wausau. It's a chance for stores to stay open later, and bring people downtown. The theme for the fourth, 2015 installment focused on live art in the Wausau River District and 400 Block.

For Wausau's Valerie Berkely, it gave her the chance to get others in touch with art.

Berkely greeted people passing by with a "Hi, I teach painting here" during the occasion outside the Center for the Visual Arts in Wausau.

+ Read More

Play Video

SUGAR CAMP - A one-car crash northwest of Sugar Camp sent a woman to the hospital Thursday.

A Chevy Silverado ran off Highway D not far from where it meets Highway H.  It happened just before noon.

+ Read More

ARBOR VITAE - Fire destroyed a home in Arbor Vitae early Thursday morning but everyone inside got out safely.

A 911 call came into the Vilas County Sheriff's Department at 4:00 a.m., reporting a fire at 2075 Soik Road.

People in the home woke up to the smell of smoke.

They told police they found flames coming from one of the walls.

After trying to put out the fire, they got out of the home.

No one was hurt, but the home was a total loss.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here