Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Sen. Baldwin Visits NTC, Talks Open Jobs and Skills GapSubmitted: 01/17/2013
Story By Lyndsey Stemm


WAUSAU - Thousands of Wisconsinites need jobs, and employers need workers. But there's a skills gap leaving some of those jobs empty.

That's why technical colleges around the state are developing programs to help train workers, and Senator Tammy Baldwin visited one in Wausau Thursday.

The newly elected senator learned about the programs at NTC created to fill those skilled job openings. She got a look at the energy efficiency lab, and the newly constructed manufacturing lab. Baldwin last visited the school when the manufacturing lab was being built.

"I truly believe we need to keep on making things in America, and making things in Wisconsin. And so an emphasis on manufacturing is needed. Technical colleges are really playing an extraordinary role in helping address that," says Sen. Baldwin.

Senator Baldwin says helping to get more things made in Wisconsin will be a major focus during her time in the Senate.

She also reflected on what it's been like to go from representing a district to an entire state.

"Sometimes I think of the congressional districts with very arbitrary lines. You feel as strongly about an issue whether it affects somebody on one side of a county line or on the other side of a county line. The biggest difference is the opportunity to fight for all the people of this great state," says Sen. Baldwin.

Senator Baldwin will serve on the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. She hopes what they develop there, will help Wisconsin close its skills gap.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

Play Video

EAGLE RIVER - Many folks worried about their own ash trees when the emerald ash borer made its way to Rhinelander in 2014.

Now, the Vilas County 4H kids are taking precautions into their own hands.

+ Read More

Play Video

LAONA - Whipping winds and off-and-on rain couldn't keep 91-year-old Bud Kuhrasch off the golf course Monday.

"Rain or shine, we'd be here," Kuhrasch said with a smile.

Then again, the weather doesn't really bother Kuhrasch. The U.S. Navy veteran helped invade Omaha Beach at Normandy on D-Day in 1944.  On Monday, he joined two other World War II vets and more than 100 other veterans at Nicolet Country Club's annual outing.

+ Read More

Play Video

MINOCQUA - Keeping up with technology can be tough, but Lakeland Union High School thinks it's up for the challenge. 

The school's newest investment is bringing lesson plans to life.

+ Read More

MADISON - Wisconsin elections officials have started mailing postcards to hundreds of thousands of people telling them how to register to vote.

State lawmakers passed a measure earlier this year requiring Wisconsin to join a multi-state consortium that works to identify eligible voters who haven't registered and informs them how to get on the books.

+ Read More
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 09/26/2016

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

Two people in Sugar Camp safely escaped a house fire that heavily damaged their garage. We'll give you the latest details.

Plus, we'll bring you new information on an attempt by Marathon County officials to keep drivers safe from cows that were let loose from an accident on Highway 29.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

MARATHON COUNTY - Highway 29 in Marathon County needed to be shut down for a time after cattle escaped from a trailer following a crash.

It happened at 11:15 p.m. Sunday when a tractor-trailer rolled on Highway 29, at County Y in the Town of Norrie.

+ Read More

SUGAR CAMP - Fire badly damaged a house in Sugar Camp Monday afternoon. The Oneida County Sheriff's Office got a call of the fire on County Highway A around 1:00 p.m.

The garage of the house appeared to be destroyed. Firefighters were still putting out flames on the roof of the house an hour later.

The Sheriff's Office thinks the fire might have started in a wood stove in the garage, where a man was burning garbage. 

Police said there were two people in the home at the time of the fire, but they made it out safely. Police haven't said yet what caused the fire or how much damage there was.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here