IN OTHER NEWS
- Cross Country teams enter the postseason this weekend. Rhinelander runners are hoping to have their best race yet. RHINELANDER Their season has been leading up to this weekend's sectional meet in Waupaca. Rhinelander's top runner, Alayna Franson, knows what the state meet feels like and is hoping to get back there. As the cross country season comes to a close and the air gets cooler, the competition heats up. "I'm just hoping to stay with the front pack, get a good time, close to whoever is in the front," said Franson.
And for senior runner Alayna Franson, that means the battle to get to the state meet is on.
"I have really high hopes for myself, high goals, I want to make it to state hopefully place at state," said Franson.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the demand for heavy equipment operators to increase 10 percent in the next 10 years. MERRILL
Industry professionals are always trying to find more qualified people to fill those positions. They worked with Nicolet College to develop curriculum for the basic heavy equipment operator course.
- Lawyers expect to call "a number" of expert witnesses in the Oneida County homicide case against Ellen Tran. RHINELANDER Finding and vetting those experts could take months, lawyers told a judge on Tuesday in court. Tran is charged with causing the death of her 20-month-old stepson, Avery Edwards, at a Rhinelander home in April. Prosecutors and defense attorneys will spend until February to identify those witnesses. After that, the case could go to trial.
- Chris Sandstrom knows that, like hockey, his task is all about precision. RHINELANDER "Trying to guess this doesn't work too well," said Sandstrom, kneeling on the ground at Rhinelander Ice Arena on Tuesday morning. Sandstrom and a small crew have spent the last two days carefully preparing every inch of the rink. "You can't make a mistake. If you make a mistake, it can't be redone," he said.
- Chilly fall weather might make you want to curl up next to your space heater or fire place, but those heating sources bring some fire risks with them. RHINELANDER You should never leave space heaters unattended. That includes when you sleep. Pets or small children can tip over the unit and start a fire. This is probably the first time the furnace is on since winter, so you will want to change the filter and check your chimneys, too. "They've been sitting all summer. You want to make sure those get cleaned. We see a lot of chimney fire this time of year," says firefighter Justin Feaker.
- Rhinelander's former police chief just finished the FBI's "crown jewel" of training. Mike Steffes -- who is now the Deputy Administrator of the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Law Enforcement Services --completed the three-week "National Executive Institute" in September. MADISON The academy is designed for executives that lead more than 500 sworn officers and serve populations of 250,000 or more.
- A horse in Marathon County has tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis. MARATHON COUNTY The Marathon County Health Department sent out word of the positive test. The virus can be spread to humans, horses, birds and other animals during bites from infected mosquitoes.