Canadian Company Proposes Mine in U.P.
- A Canadian mining company wants to open a copper and silver mine just miles from northern Wisconsin.
Orvana Minerals Corporation resubmitted an application for the proposed Copperwood mine just outside of Ironwood, a short distance from Hurley.
The company wants to mine nearly 800 million pounds of copper and 3.5 million ounces of silver.
Environmentalists are concerned about sucking water from Lake Superior for the mine.
Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality is taking public input until December 18.
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Gogebic Taconite submits sampling plans
- Gogebic Taconite wants to move quickly to dig an iron mine in Ashland and Iron Counties. MADISON This week, they submitted plans for the next step in the state's process. The company is asking the DNR for permission to sample hundreds of thousands of tons of earth, part of a bulk sampling plan. Gogebic Taconite also officially told the DNR it will seek a mining permit. The DNR will tell Gogebic within two weeks whether it can go forward with the sampling.
Merrill City Council plans to at Tomahawk to Municipal Court cases
- We want our city officials to save money and resources where they can. MERRILL In Merrill, the city council is trying to do that with their municipal court. The new plan means if you get a speeding ticket or citation for disorderly conduct in tomahawk, you'd have to go to court in Merrill. The timetable is quicker for getting in and out of the municipal court than getting through Lincoln County Circuit Court. The discussion came up when Merrill's city staff members decided they need to make a decision whether to continue funding the court.
Mapping and controlling Yellow Iris in wetlands
- These plants may look pretty but they're taking over our rivers and lakes. Michele Sadauskas is Oneida County's Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator. She is working to map and control the yellow iris, the plant you see here. She and two other conservation workers spent the day weeding Stacks Bay. MINOCQUA "They invade our wetlands. They're a really robust, aggressive plant. What they do is they crowd out our native species and make actually the wetland a lot less diverse," says Michele Sadauskas, Oneida County AIS Coordinator. Removing yellow iris is a slow process. It takes three hours of work just to properly map and control 20 feet of shoreline.
Plans for next wolf hunt move forward
- Wisconsin wildlife officials want hunters and trappers kill more wolves this year. MADISON Yesterday the DNR finalized proposed kill quotas for the state's second wolf season. The quota was set at 275 wolves. The state's Chippewa tribes are entitled to part of that quota.
Woman with Alzheimer's found safe
- A barking dog led searchers to a Wood County woman with Alzheimer's disease. WOOD COUNTY Just before five last night, a call came in saying the woman was missing from the 46-hundred block of Lynn Hill Road in Port Edwards township. The woman was enrolled in the "Project Lifesaver" program, and was wearing a transmitter. However, the battery had apparently gone dead, so searchers could not find her that way.
Forest Co. man gets jail for firing gun in house, pointing it at wife
- The Forest County man who pointed a gun at his wife and fired a shot in their home will serve conditional jail time. CRANDON Forrest Schaller was originally charged with attempted first degree intentional homicide. But today he agreed to a deal with the State. He pleaded guilty to recklessly endangering safety and felon possession of a firearm. In exchange, the Court dropped the attempted homicide charge. Schaller will serve one year in Forest County jail with work-release privileges. He'll be on probation for eight years.
Woman killed when ATV goes over cliff
- A woman died when an ATV sailed over a cliff in Iron county. SAXON Deputies got the call around seven last night about the ATV crash near Harbor Drive in Saxon. The ATV did not make it around a corner on Harbor drive and traveled over the cliff, coming to rest on the beach. A 42 year old woman who was a passenger on the ATV was dead at the scene. Her 44 year old husband had been driving, and suffered severe injuries.