Petting Zoo Animals Die in House Fire
- Several petting zoo animals were killed when a southeastern Wisconsin home caught fire early this morning.
The Hustisford house was completely on fire when crews arrived.
One of the people who lived in the home operated a traveling petting zoo for children.
Several of the animals for the zoo were kept in the house, and are believed to have died in the fire.
Firefighters think a wood burner might have started the fire.
The house was completely destroyed.
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Gogebic Taconite submits sampling plans
- Gogebic Taconite wants to move quickly to dig an iron mine in Ashland and Iron Counties. MADISON This week, they submitted plans for the next step in the state's process. The company is asking the DNR for permission to sample hundreds of thousands of tons of earth, part of a bulk sampling plan. Gogebic Taconite also officially told the DNR it will seek a mining permit. The DNR will tell Gogebic within two weeks whether it can go forward with the sampling.
Daigle Brothers Inc, expands business through new inventions
- Workers at Daigle Brothers in Tomahawk can build almost anything out of steel. Most of their business is creating custom parts and putting up buildings, but more recently, they've been building a new invention. TOMAHAWK Daigle Brothers began in 1987. Back then they did a lot of construction related jobs like painting. Later they focused on steel construction. "In the 90's we did a lot of school buildings, there was a lot of schools being built, so we supplied structural steel for these building projects... Currently our biggest markets are universities, hospitals, office buildings... we do a lot of fire stations," said Steve Daigle President of Daigle Brothers Inc.
Man dies when a train hits his van
- An elderly man from central Wisconsin killed in a terrifying crash when a train crashes into his van. TOWN OF UNITY, WI Charles Podbelsek, 81, was driving on a Clark County Road Tuesday morning. When he approached the railroad crossing he did not stop at the stop sign and hit a Canadian National train. His Caravan was thrown from the crossing, landed on its roof, and Podbelsek was thrown from the van.
Kids make sculptures from soil
- When you were a child, you probably liked to play in the dirt. THREE LAKES Wednesday, some kids did just that. Only this time, it was for educational purposes. Jessica Hepker works at Trees for Tomorrow. Wednesday at the Three Lakes Library, she taught kids about different types of soil.
Budget likely just days away from passge
- Wisconsin Republicans want to expand private school vouchers, put forth a huge income tax cut, and reject a federal Medicaid expansion. MADISON Those ideas could be just days away from becoming law in Wisconsin. The state Assembly passed the biennial state budget on a 55-42 vote Wednesday. Those proposals are just some of hundreds in the $70 billion budget. Democrats decided not to offer any of the 211 amendments they had ready.
Medford man searches for photo of every Vietnam death from Wisconsin
- “Our goal is to find them all," says Bryce Kelley. MEDFORD Kelley, a Medford resident, wants to find a picture of every Wisconsin soldier killed in Vietnam. “I know that I will continue to work, and I have enlisted the help of many others that will continue to work until we find them all," he says. Nearly 1,200 Wisconsinites’ names are etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington.
Woman killed when ATV goes over cliff
- A woman died when an ATV sailed over a cliff in Iron county. SAXON Deputies got the call around seven last night about the ATV crash near Harbor Drive in Saxon. The ATV did not make it around a corner on Harbor drive and traveled over the cliff, coming to rest on the beach. A 42 year old woman who was a passenger on the ATV was dead at the scene. Her 44 year old husband had been driving, and suffered severe injuries.