LAC DU FLAMBEAU - Dozens of people in Lac du Flambeau are back in their homes after a propane leak.
They were forced to evacuate after about 400 gallons of propane were released into the air from a home on East Fence Lake Road.
"A leak of this magnitude is not common. Normally, it's a smaller amount of material that escapes from a residential supply line or something like that. A 400 gallon spill is a significant spill," said Jim Galloway, an emergency manager with Vilas County.
An area within about a half-mile radius was evacuated. No one was injured or taken for medical treatment.
It happened as a propane supplier was putting in a new tank.
"There was a device within the tank that was supposed to prevent the loss of material when the line was disconnected. That valve apparently had failed," Galloway said.
Lac du Flambeau fire and ambulance first ordered the evacuation of the immediate area.
An evacuation means no one outside of emergency responders is allowed in the area.
"We at the county level followed that up with a Code Red telephone message to all of the people that were within the affected area, and instructed them to evacuate, and also to turn off the pilot lights to their hot water heaters and furnaces," Galloway said.
East Fence Lake Road was closed for more than an hour.
LAC DU FLAMBEAU - People from all over the Northwoods celebrated Earth Day today. Students at Lac du Flambeau school participated in a natural resources fair today.
Classes, groups and individual students submitted projects to be judged. By doing the projects they learned the importance of Earth Day.
“Polluting could harm the earth and if that harms the earth later on we won't have a better earth to do stuff on like camping, or fishing, hiking and taking walks,” says Sky Risingsun, a Lac du Flambeau student.
35 projects were judged in the science competition. Each student was given a white spruce seed to take home and plant in their own yard.
“It's a white spruce which is a native tree to this area,” says Bryan Hoover, Lac du Flambeau Energy and Air Quality Coordinator. “We've got almost 500 of them and every student is going to take one home so that they can pick a spot in their yard to plant the new tree and watch that tree grow as it matures.”
NORTHWOODS - People in Wisconsin love their beer, but alcohol is a big problem in the Northwoods. Experts want people to remember that alcohol is a drug and should never be abused.
Alcohol is a depressant and slows down the central nervous system. Experts feel drinking here in the Northwoods has become too normalized.
“When you talk to people even from the Northwoods community alcohol goes hand in hand with family gatherings , graduation, prom, hunting, snowmobiling, recreational activities,” says Katie Kennedy, Options Counseling Service Clinician. “It's kind of created this normalized look at alcohol that it's okay to do that in these environments or in these situations when it actually really increases risks.”
It's not just adults that have alcohol problems. Kids under 21 are finding unique ways to abuse the drug. Some have even resorted to snorting alcohol as a means to get drunk faster.
“What happens anytime you ingest a substance as far as snorting like right into your nose it goes into your mucus membrane,” says Kennedy. “So instead of drinking alcohol whereas it's processed through your system it's a process, the alcohol goes immediately into your body into your blood stream it affects you a lot quicker.”
In 2012 Wisconsin was the number one state for binge drinking. That's according to the Center for Disease Control. April is alcohol awareness month.
Disclaimer: All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Rockfleet Broadcasting / Northland Television, Inc. and By Request Web Designs shall not be held responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints.