Loading

52°F

51°F

57°F

57°F

57°F

57°F

54°F

49°F

57°F
NEWS STORIES

Obama and Romney Face Off in Second DebateSubmitted: 10/16/2012
Story By Lex Gray

Play Video

NEW YORK - President Obama and Mitt Romney spoke even more directly to undecided voters in tonight's second presidential debate.

The town hall format was designed to encourage straightforward answers to voters.

But sometimes the candidates couldn't get out of each other's way.

The biggest question of the debate, and the campaign, is if Americans want another term from Obama, or if Romney is a better alternative.

"The commitments I've made, I've kept," Obama said. "And those that I haven't been able to keep, it's not for lack of trying, and we're going to get it done in a second term."

"I think you know better," Romney responded. "I think that you know that the last four years haven't been so good as the President described, and that you don't feel like you're confident that the next four years are going to be much better either."

There were no foreign policy questions until more than an hour into the debate.

But when the candidates did move to international relations, the debate centered on the attack on the Libyan consulate.

Exchanges about the President's handling of the situation were tense.

"The suggestion that anybody on my team would play politics or mislead when we've lost four of our own, Governor, is offensive. That's not what we do," Obama said.

"You said in the Rose Garden the day after the attack that it was an act of terror. It was not a spontaneous demonstration? Is that what you're saying?" Romney responded. "It took the president 14 days before he called the attack in Benghazi an act of terror.

But in the end, the conversation always seemed to come back to the American middle class.

Romney and Obama go head to head once more before Election Day. The last debate in Monday, October 22nd in Boca Raton, Florida.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
DNR thinks registering deer online and by phone easier for huntersSubmitted: 10/24/2014

WISCONSIN - The DNR will make changes to how people register deer.

This year they're starting a program allowing hunters to register deer online or by phone.

Only some hunters will take part in the program.

Next year it will be in full effect.

"Right now we're doing a pilot program in 2014, where there's 14,000 people who've been picked to practice this registration. And next year everybody will be able to either register by phone or on the internet. They will still have the opportunity to register at a station as long as there is a telephone or a computer for them," says DNR Conservation Warden Paul Hartrick.

+ Read More
New York leaders: Doctor has Ebola, 1st in citySubmitted: 10/23/2014

NEW YORK - A law enforcement official and a New York City official say a doctor who recently returned to the city after treating Ebola patients in West Africa has tested positive for the virus.

It's the first confirmed case in the city.

The officials received notification of preliminary test results and told The Associated Press but weren't authorized to discuss the case publicly before a Thursday night news conference.

+ Read More
International group considers Wisconsin one of four most improved states in energy efficiency Submitted: 10/23/2014

Play Video

WISCONSIN - An international energy efficiency group ranked Wisconsin in the top four most improved states in the U.S. when it comes to energy efficiency.

American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) is an international non-profit. The group pushes for better energy efficiency around the world.

They ranked Wisconsin 23rd in the U.S. last year, but Wisconsin made their most improved list for 2014.

"A shift in efficiency administrators had caused a temporary drop in saving," ACEEE State Policy Research Analyst Annie Gilleo said. "We are seeing that Wisconsin is once again realizing consistent levels of electricity and natural gas savings."

+ Read More
Appeals court rejects John Doe rehearing requestSubmitted: 10/23/2014

MADISON - A federal appeals court has unanimously rejected a conservative group's request to reconsider a ruling last month tossing a lawsuit challenging an investigation into possible illegal campaign coordination.

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday rejected the request from Wisconsin Club for Growth to rehear the case after a three-judge panel last month sided with investigators.

+ Read More
Social media app causes problems for Medford High School, app banned from school groundsSubmitted: 10/23/2014

Play Video

MEDFORD - A Northwoods high school evacuated earlier this month because of an anonymous message on the social media app called Yik Yak. Someone posted a bomb threat on the app for Medford High School.

That hasn't been the only issue with the app. Some students used the app to anonymously bully their peers.

"People, especially students but even adults too, are much, much braver behind a computer screen," says Medford High School Dean of Students Justin Hraby.

+ Read More
Grant to help improve Vilas trails appSubmitted: 10/23/2014

VILAS COUNTY - Tourism leaders hope updates to a smartphone app will bring in an extra $350,000 to Vilas County.

The app will now offer GPS services to the county's non-motorized trail app.

Vilas County Tourism & Publicity will pay for it with a nearly $40,000 Joint Effort Marketing (JEM) grant from the state department of tourism.

+ Read More
Federal grant will help NTC open mobile lab, expand educational opportunitiesSubmitted: 10/23/2014

Play Video

WAUSAU - Northcentral Technical College will get a huge boost to one of its healthcare programs.

The geriatric healthcare program will get $668,328 from the U.S. Department of Labor. The grant will help create new advanced technical certificates. It will also go towards expanding educational programs.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here