Northwoods Relay For Life Exceeds Fundraising Expectations
- Northwoods residents came together to support Relay for Life and cancer research.
The group raised more than $85,000 with more money still coming in.
That's $13,000 more than the original goal. More than 200 cancer survivors and 26 teams participated.
People can still donate money until the end of August. Visit the link below.
Donate to Relay For Life
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Accused Lac du Flambeau stabber faces attempted intentional homicide charge
- Thirty-year-old James Peterson faces a serious charge this week. EAGLE RIVER Peterson is accused of stabbing a 19-year-old man in Lac du Flambeau early Sunday morning. He made his initial appearance in court today. Prosecutors want to charge him with first degree intentional attempted homicide. Both he and the stabbing victim were treated at the hospital. The victim was taken to Ministry St. Joseph's in Marshfield for further treatment. Peterson remains in jail Wednesday night on $15,000 cash bond.
Sen. Baldwin delivers first Senate floor speech
- We got to see and hear Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin give her first speech on the floor Wednesday morning. WASHINGTON, D.C. The first-term Senator focused mainly on optimism and bipartisanship during her 11-minute speech. She spoke on a day when the Senate took up debate on the so-called 2013 Farm Bill. The bi-partisan effort would help limit the risks many farmers take while saving taxpayers billions. It's the kind of work Baldwin would like to see the Senate do more of.
'Wellness Court' Offers Alternate Sentence for Alcohol & Drug Offenders
- In Vilas County the courts have a new option for treating drug and alcohol offenders, instead of putting them behind bars. LAC DU FLAMBEAU Today the new Wellness Court was named in Lac du Flambeau. Circuit court judge Neal Neilsen and Tribal Court Judge Gary Smith will work together to help those involved with drugs and alcohol get the treatment they need. "A traditional court would, more than likely sentence the person to jail or prison, and we've seen studies where that just doesn't work anymore. We need to get creative," said Lac du Flambeau Tribal Chief Judge, Gary Smith.
People with Disabilities Gain Job Skills in Northwoods
- People with disabilities deserve the same chance to find a job as anyone else. RHINELANDER Headwaters Incorporated in Rhinelander wants to help make sure that happens. Six people completed the Employability class at Headwaters this year. They were recognized for their work Wednesday at Nicolet College. The students in the class toured several workplaces in the area.
Ministry Health Care to Cut Hundreds of Jobs
- Ministry Health Care plans to lay off several hundred employees, citing a drop in the number of patients and cuts in federal reimbursement levels. MILWAUKEE Ministry operates 15 hospitals and 47 clinics across Wisconsin. The facilities include Saint Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield and Saint Michael's Hospital in Stevens Point. Ministry spokesman Geoffrey Huys says about 225 to 250 employees will be cut, mainly through attrition and job eliminations.
Weston man accused of 8th OWI
- If you drink and drive, don't expect to get away with it. Especially when you've already been caught seven other times. A Weston man is facing his eighth drunken driving charge. WAUSAU Twenty-nine year-old Cole Knapp appeared in Marathon County Court today. Prosecutors say an officer tried to pull Knapp over for a traffic violation May 11 when Knapp took off. Knapp eventually stopped and got out of his vehicle with his hands in the air. During a background check, Knapp fled on foot and was arrested a short time. He has seven previous OWI convictions dating back to 2002 in Bayfield, Ashland, Lincoln and Marathon counties.
SUV Slams into Semi, Sends Driver to Hospital
- A high-impact crash trapped a woman inside her SUV near Rhinelander Wednesday morning. RHINELANDER Around 8:30 a.m., a red SUV slammed into a semi on the side of the road. It sent the only person in the car, the driver, to the hospital. The crash happened on County Highway P near Lake George Road.