Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Police: Smoking in bathroom caused school fireSubmitted: 04/24/2014
Police: Smoking in bathroom caused school fire
Story By Associated Press

OCONTO - Police say a student smoking in a bathroom caused a fire that resulted in an estimated $5 million in smoke damage at Oconto High School.

After reviewing surveillance video and interviewing students and staff members, Oconto police have identified as 16-year-old student as a person of interest.

Firefighters interviewed the student, who said he left class early and went to the bathroom, where he smoked a home-rolled cigarette.

Police believe the cigarette was used too close to a toilet paper dispenser, causing an accidental fire. No one else used the bathroom after the boy.

The April 16 fire forced the building to be evacuated. Students returned to class Monday at Oconto Middle School.

WLUK-TV (http://bit.ly/1lJIFZH) reports the boy is being referred to the Oconto County Department of Human Services.



Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 10/17/2017

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

A large building in Laona that used to be a store hasn't been used for several years. Now 2 men want to put the building on the National Register of Historic Places. We talk to the men about the big plans they have for the building.

We'll show you how professionals in the heavy machinery industry are showing people in Merrill different opportunities in the field by giving them hands-on experience.

And we talk to a Rhinelander firefighter about how to stay safe while trying to keep warm this winter.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

RHINELANDER - Chilly fall weather might make you want to curl up next to your space heater or fire place, but those heating sources bring some fire risks with them.

You should never leave space heaters unattended.

That includes when you sleep.

Pets or small children can tip over the unit and start a fire.

This is probably the first time the furnace is on since winter, so you will want to change the filter and check your chimneys, too.

"They've been sitting all summer. You want to make sure those get cleaned. We see a lot of chimney fire this time of year," says firefighter Justin Feaker.

The Rhinelander Fire Department reminds people of daylight saving time coming up on November 5th.

That is a good time to check out smoke alarms.

+ Read More

MARATHON COUNTY - A horse in Marathon County has tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis.

The Marathon County Health Department sent out word of the positive test.

The virus can be spread to humans, horses, birds and other animals during bites from infected mosquitoes.

+ Read More

MADISON - The leaders of Gov. Scott Walker's job creation agency met behind closed doors again to discuss contract negotiations with Foxconn Technology Group but didn't take any action.

The electronics giant wants to build a flat-screen manufacturing campus in Mount Pleasant. Walker signed a $3 billion incentives package for the company last month.

+ Read More

MADISON - A bill would prevent University of Wisconsin employees from working part-time at Planned Parenthood.

The Republican-backed measure is due for a public hearing before the state Senate's health committee.



+ Read More

Play Video

WAUSAU - Packers fans waited for good news Monday and didn't get it.  Head coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that Aaron Rodgers will need surgery and could miss the rest of the season.

"Potentially, his season could be over," McCarthy said during his Monday afternoon press conference.

Rodgers broke his collarbone about eight minutes into a loss in Minnesota on Sunday.  It's an injury Dr. Jim Messerly knew didn't look good when he saw the replays.

+ Read More

Play Video

WHITE LAKE - More than 60 percent of students in White Lake schools come from families with financial challenges, letting those students qualify for free or reduced-cost meals at school.

But the district views that as just a number.

"We just see kids. We don't see whether they have needs or not. We just see kids, and we do the best we can to meet whatever needs they come with on a daily basis," said White Lake K-12 Principal Glenda Boldig.

Boldig's mission is helped by a motivated community volunteer, Sally Mulhollon.

"I know what it was like to be without," said Mulhollon.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here