Loading

54°F

53°F

54°F

53°F

48°F

52°F

54°F

64°F

48°F

52°F

64°F

54°F
Search
NEWS STORIES

Avoid heating hazardsSubmitted: 01/05/2014
Story By Lauren Stephenson


RHINELANDER - Health officials urge people to stay indoors the next few days to avoid health problems caused by frigid temperatures.

But staying inside your home can be dangerous if you don't heat it properly.

The most common cold weather emergencies Rhinelander firefighters respond to are fires caused by portable heaters.

But it's not just the heaters that cause fires.

It's the extension cords used to power them.

"People overuse them. They join them together. In fact, we recommend if you need an extension cord to buy a power strip. That's got the circuit breaker built in to it so if the appliance were to overheat, the circuit breaker would trip," said Rhinelander Fire Department Deputy Chief Craig Metz.

People using portable heaters should place them in the middle of a room to avoid a fire hazard.

They shouldn't run extension cords through doorways.

The cords can bend, causing them to wear down.

Firefighters don't respond to as many chimney or oven fires as they did a few years ago.

New furnaces and the ability for more people to have heat through heating assistance programs have helped reduce the use of ovens and fires.

But a furnace can still pose a danger.

"You want to make sure the intake and the exhaust on your furnace is kept clean. We see that quite a bit where the snow banks will block off the exhaust of the furnace," explained Metz.

Exhaust can build up, creating deadly carbon monoxide levels if the snow isn't cleared.

Firefighters say now is a perfect time to check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to be sure they're working.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

MADISON - Gov. Scott Walker has signed a bill to end Wisconsin's classroom SAGE program.

+ Read More

Play Video

MERRILL - You can get a free cab ride when you've had too much to drink at many Northwoods bars.

It's part of the SafeRide Home Program, funded mainly by the tavern league.

About 150 people use the SafeRide Home program every month in Lincoln County.

The program's success could be one reason it will get less money from state grants.

+ Read More

MADISON - Republicans who control the state Assembly plan to vote on the state budget next week along with a bill that would repeal prevailing wage requirements for local governments.

+ Read More

NORTHWOODS - Our nation celebrates its independence in three days. People in the Northwoods are planning how they want to view fireworks. Will they buy their own, or will they see a community show?

Peter Anderson has been a fireworks organizer for the city of Eagle River for several years.

"We've been doing it for a long time," he said. "We hire a fireworks company to come in and do it every year for us. It's just kind of a tradition to celebrate the 4th of July."

Many communities in the Northwoods put on firework displays. And those displays can cost quite a bit of money.

"Right around $9000 is what we spend in Eagle River," said Anderson. "It all goes right towards the fireworks. Everything else is volunteer; we get the land donated to us, we get everybody's time donated to us, and all of the money goes directly towards the fireworks."

Anderson says a big reason his community does a display is so people can celebrate on the fourth safely.

"I'm on the fire department; that's one of the reasons why I got involved with it was to have a nice big community firework display so that people don't have to do their own displays," said Anderson.

+ Read More

MADISON - Gov. Scott Walker has signed a bill designed to curb using GPS devices to track people.

+ Read More

Play Video

MADISON - Republican lawmakers announced Wednesday that a new Milwaukee Bucks arena and prevailing wage proposal would be removed from the state budget.

+ Read More

Play Video

NORTHWOODS - A dog in Wausau died Tuesday after being locked in a car for two hours. Police say the dog had a heat stroke.

Veterinarians say dogs can overheat even if the windows are rolled down. That's because dogs are naturally warmer than humans and different breeds have hair or fur that might make the dog even hotter.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here