IN OTHER NEWS
- Minocqua hosted not one, but three different races Saturday. Each run was all a part of the Bear Cupboard Run. MINOCQUA People could participate in a half marathon or 5K. For the younger runners, there was a cubby run. All in all about 500 people participated.
- The Gem and Mineral show celebrated its 50th year in Minocqua this weekend. While all the vendors there are passionate about their product, one in particular seems to hold his in high regard. MINOCQUA "Basically it's what I thrive on," said Bill Schoenfuss. Bill Schoenfuss is passionate about his business.
- The weather ruined plenty of plans on Friday for tourists in the Northwoods, but not everyone was unhappy with the dreary weather. MINOCQUA "During the rainy time, it's just, all day long," said Jacob Boelz, who works at The Loon in Minocqua. Boelz said when there's rain, the business pours into Minocqua shops.
- Rainy skies couldn't dampen the sound of music in Rhinelander Friday afternoon. RHINELANDER The ArtStart summer "eat to the Beat" concert series kicked off Friday with instrumentalist Chris Skinner playing the electric chapman stick.
- Two Mercer School Board members, Karl Anderson and Christa Reinert, are facing backlash for questioning finances of the district and the behavior of some of its leaders. MERCER "I get [an] upset stomach thinking about the things that are going on," said Anderson. Anderson was elected to the five-person board this spring. He ran to support fellow school board member Christa Reinert and to try to correct some of the wrongs he saw happening in the district. "Some of the facts that have been coming out seem to be waking people up," said Anderson. Those facts are misuse of taxpayer money, improper raises, and intimidation techniques, which were observed during this interview when a man in a car drove by yelling profanities.
- 25 years later and the movie The Sandlot still brings a lot of smiles. WISCONSIN RAPIDS
2018 marks the 25th anniversary of the classic film.
To celebrate, actors from the movie are on a mini tour around the U.S.
Scotty Smalls and Tommy Repeat Timmons joined the Wisconsin Rapid Rafters Thursday evening.
"It's hard to believe," said Shane Obedzinski, who played Tommy "Repeat" Timmons in The Sandlot. "It feels like it was yesterday. But it's awesome. We are very very grateful."
The Sandlot actors stopped in Wisconsin Rapids to throw the first pitch at the Rafters game and meet their fans.
- Local lawn care services hope the rain we saw Friday will give them more business. NORTHWOODS We've had 41 days of hot, humid weather this summer. That's more than double than last year. Those temperatures are taking a toll on our yards. Owner of "Brian's Fairway Look" Brian Perschon feels right at home behind a lawn mower. "I just love cutting grass. I love doing it. It's not really work for me," said Perschon. Perschon noticed the once glossy, green grass is now dry and yellow Perschon uses fertilizer on the lawns he mows to avoid having to deal with dull grass. "If you take care of it, it'll take care of you," said Perschon.