IN OTHER NEWS
- Chilly fall weather might make you want to curl up next to your space heater or fire place, but those heating sources bring some fire risks with them. RHINELANDER You should never leave space heaters unattended. That includes when you sleep. Pets or small children can tip over the unit and start a fire. This is probably the first time the furnace is on since winter, so you will want to change the filter and check your chimneys, too. "They've been sitting all summer. You want to make sure those get cleaned. We see a lot of chimney fire this time of year," says firefighter Justin Feaker.
- Lawyers expect to call "a number" of expert witnesses in the Oneida County homicide case against Ellen Tran. RHINELANDER Finding and vetting those experts could take months, lawyers told a judge on Tuesday in court. Tran is charged with causing the death of her 20-month-old stepson, Avery Edwards, at a Rhinelander home in April. Prosecutors and defense attorneys will spend until February to identify those witnesses. After that, the case could go to trial.
- The Prentice School Board approved a new policy for the district tonight. PRENTICE The goal of the policy is to keep the district's social media accounts focused on celebrating its successes, and to teach students appropriate social media behavior.
- The Tri County Council will hold a candlelight vigil on Friday to honor those who lost their lives to domestic violence in Wisconsin last year. RHINELANDER The statewide homicide report says 73 people were killed as a result of domestic violence in 2016.
- Chris Sandstrom knows that, like hockey, his task is all about precision. RHINELANDER "Trying to guess this doesn't work too well," said Sandstrom, kneeling on the ground at Rhinelander Ice Arena on Tuesday morning. Sandstrom and a small crew have spent the last two days carefully preparing every inch of the rink. "You can't make a mistake. If you make a mistake, it can't be redone," he said.
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he thinks NFL players should stop protesting during the national anthem. MADISON The Republican former presidential hopeful sent a letter Monday to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith saying he believes players are showing disrespect for the flag and veterans.
- Cross Country teams enter the postseason this weekend. Rhinelander runners are hoping to have their best race yet. RHINELANDER Their season has been leading up to this weekend's sectional meet in Waupaca. Rhinelander's top runner, Alayna Franson, knows what the state meet feels like and is hoping to get back there. As the cross country season comes to a close and the air gets cooler, the competition heats up. "I'm just hoping to stay with the front pack, get a good time, close to whoever is in the front," said Franson.
And for senior runner Alayna Franson, that means the battle to get to the state meet is on.
"I have really high hopes for myself, high goals, I want to make it to state hopefully place at state," said Franson.