Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Tradition continues for one Northwoods fire departmentSubmitted: 10/10/2013
Story By Lauren Stephenson


THREE LAKES - Volunteer firefighters sacrifice their time and lives to keep us safe.

They also need the right equipment to keep them safe.

The Three Lakes Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary Board makes sure its firefighters have new and safe equipment.

The board started 21 years ago.

"It's a small group of us that gathered together to start this organization after two major fires on Main Street: The Chalet and the Loonary," says Three Lakes Fire Department Auxiliary Board member Del Gries.

Its first major event, Pumpkin Fest, outgrew its location the first year.

A craft sale, games, raffles, and the largest bake sale in the Northwoods draws thousands of people to the event each year.

Members of the board say it's easy to get people to help with the event once they hear it benefits the fire department.

"They will come from visiting family up here and call up and say, 'Can I help?' And so it's not just Three Lakes. It's people all over. We have 80 to 100 volunteers helping with selling the products."

The event raises more than $10,000 for the fire department.

The board bought a water tank to fight fires at lake homes and an ATV.

It also pays for new firefighters' training.

The board also supports local families that have lost their homes to fire.

If you want to help give back to the community, you can go to Pumpkin Fest this Saturday at Three Lakes High School.

It runs from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

Play Video

MINOCQUA - Keeping up with technology can be tough, but Lakeland Union High School thinks it's up for the challenge. 

The school's newest investment is bringing lesson plans to life.

+ Read More

MADISON - Wisconsin elections officials have started mailing postcards to hundreds of thousands of people telling them how to register to vote.

State lawmakers passed a measure earlier this year requiring Wisconsin to join a multi-state consortium that works to identify eligible voters who haven't registered and informs them how to get on the books.

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - Newswatch 12 turned 50 this year, but it's actually lucky the station made it past year two.

A tragic accident in 1968 knocked the station off the air for nearly a year, and William Anderson was one of the two who lived through it.

"It's a quite a story," said Anderson.

+ Read More
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 09/26/2016

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

Two people in Sugar Camp safely escaped a house fire that heavily damaged their garage. We'll give you the latest details.

Plus, we'll bring you new information on an attempt by Marathon County officials to keep drivers safe from cows that were let loose from an accident on Highway 29.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

MADISON - A federal judge has refused a union's demand to block Wisconsin's right-to-work law.

The law prohibits businesses and unions from reaching agreements that require all workers, not just union members, to pay union dues. Unions have argued the law enables nonunion members to receive free representation.

+ Read More

Play Video

EAGLE RIVER - Many folks worried about their own ash trees when the emerald ash borer made its way to Rhinelander in 2014.

Now, the Vilas County 4H kids are taking precautions into their own hands.

+ Read More

SUGAR CAMP - Fire badly damaged a house in Sugar Camp Monday afternoon. The Oneida County Sheriff's Office got a call of the fire on County Highway A around 1:00 p.m.

The garage of the house appeared to be destroyed. Firefighters were still putting out flames on the roof of the house an hour later.

The Sheriff's Office thinks the fire might have started in a wood stove in the garage, where a man was burning garbage. 

Police said there were two people in the home at the time of the fire, but they made it out safely. Police haven't said yet what caused the fire or how much damage there was.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here