Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

After beating cancer, 12-year-old & family give back to Ronald McDonald HouseSubmitted: 08/16/2013

Adam Fox
10 p.m. Anchor/Reporter
afox@wjfw.com

TOMAHAWK - Cancer wreaks havoc on a person's body. Even treatment causes you to lose hair and energy.

It's a time when people need help. It's something one Tomahawk family knows all too well.

These days it's all about snowmobiles for 12-year-old Tucker Van Ryen and his family.

They travel the Northwoods racing snowmobile circuits. His dad Terry Van Ryen thought it could help the family.

"I said boy that's something that would be neat to do with the kids on a weekend in the winter." Terry said.

But a decade ago the Van Ryen family's focus was on two-year-old Tucker's battle with cancer. His dad remembers the tough times.

"The bad days were when we couldn't get out of that hospital," Terry said. "You had to stay in the ward, you had to stay in your unit, and you had very little area."

On good days, the family could escape and stay together at the Ronald McDonald house in Madison.

"It was like staying at a hotel," Terry said. "It's a night away from where you are spending a lot of time."

Ten years later, Tucker is cancer free. Kerri Burns takes care of Tucker and still fears the worst every time he gets sick.

"In the back of your mind your always thinking, oh is it back?" Burns said.

But it hasn't come back. And the family knows how far Tucker has come.

"To see him be able to do the things that he can do on a daily basis is wonderful," Burns said.

That's why the family wants to return the favor to the Ronald McDonald house. They're hauling a trailer full of sleds to Madison for the kids to play with. The family has a plan.

"To show the kids who the champions are," Burns said. "They are the ones who are battling and fighting with cancer every day."

A fight, the Van Ryen's know can be made just a little bit easier by the kindness of others.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

HAZELHURST - Late-night drivers will need to find another way to and from Minocqua Tuesday night.

Crews are closing US Highway 51 around the Bearskin Trail Bridge near Hazelhurst. They'll be putting in girders for a new bridge that will replace the iconic T-Bird Country bridge.

+ Read More

SPIRIT - On Monday, Edwin Blomberg stood at a podium and delivered Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address to a crowded Spirit Town Hall in southern Price County.

But there was nothing on the podium.

Blomberg, well into his 90s, recited the the speech completely from memory.

+ Read More

WOODRUFF - Eighth-graders at Arbor Vitae-Woodruff Elementary presented a class gift Tuesday that was a little bit off the beaten path.

Their gift to the school was a new mountain bike trail, something they spent months fundraising for.

+ Read More

TOMAHAWK - A Tomahawk police officer pulled an autistic boy to safety after the 10-year-old went too far into a river.

Saturday afternoon around 1 p.m., Tomahawk police got a call about an unattended child in the water near Kings Road and the Highway 51 bridge.  The child refused to come out.

+ Read More

CRANDON - When Crandon's Jared Moore first picked up a trumpet as a hobby three and a half years ago, he never thought he would have the opportunity to study at a prestigious performing arts high school.

Now, Jared could study at Interlochen Center For The Arts near Traverse City, Michigan, for his four years of high school.

+ Read More

TOMAH - After the deaths of several veterans, a review of the Tomah Veterans Affairs Medical Center finds "systemic failures."

A staff report by the Republican majority of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee was released Today.

It found the VA inspector general's office discounted evidence and testimony.

+ Read More

LAC DU FLAMBEAU - A fire destroyed the interior of a Lac du Flambeau home Monday night.

The fire started in the back bedroom of Vicki Doud's home.

All 10 residents of the home were there when the fire started. Everyone got out safely, but the inside is a charred mess.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here