IN OTHER NEWS
- An Arbor Vitae restaurant may be relatively new to the area, but regulars quickly started packing the place every Friday for fish fry. ARBOR VITAE Ron and Marlena Schisel opened Outback 51 about a year ago. They say it was tough being the "newbies" at first, but their fish fry got people in the door from the start. Bluegill is the favorite plate at this fish fry. " Surprisingly we sell more bluegill more than any other fish. It is a Northwood's native fish, people want to see if it takes the fish that they have when they clean fish," says Ron. Outback 51 serves fish fry Fridays starting at 11 a.m. Click link below for more info.
- Now that spring has sprung, many of us will be looking forward to warmer temperatures. EAGLE RIVER But these cool temperatures are keeping sap harvesters in business. For the last 23 years, Yukon Jack has made his own maple syrup from trees in his own yard in Eagle River. "Normally, I make 30 to 40 gallons," said Jack. This year, things are looking good for Jack and his syrup. "This is going to be a good year," said Jack.
- A jury found a Crandon woman guilty Wednesday of trying to sneak narcotics into the Forest County Jail. CRANDON Patricia Kirker was found guilty on all five felonies. The jury made its decision in less than an hour.
- A Crandon parent group wants school board members removed in a recall election. That process started Wednesday. CRANDON Last Thursday, the board suspended superintendent Dr. Doug Kryder while he's under investigation by the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. The group, Citizens United for Education, supported that move, but its concerns extend beyond Kryder. It says the board is unwilling to listen to its concerns. Community member Jeff Albrecht plans to run in the recall election. Last Monday, he spoke before Kryder, the board, and about 200 people at a school board meeting.
- The ground won't thaw for another month or so, but you can start planning your garden now. RHINELANDER You'll have to wait until mid-May to plant flowers, but you can get away with some vegetable seeds. Bare root plants are also a good option for early-spring. Those include apple trees, blueberry and raspberry bushes. "We can help out here when you come out and make sure you get everything you need to get started."
- An inmate in the Forest County Jail committed suicide Wednesday morning. CRANDON
According to a press release from the Forest County Sheriff's Office, jail staff found the man shortly after 6:30 a.m.
- You typically find cotton or denim running through her sewing machine, but Chris Gaffron has been sewing a lot of plastic lately. EAGLE RIVER "It's just straight stitching, so anyone can do it," Gaffron said. The "StitchIt" custom embroidery store owner worked on sewing old plastic feed bags from a friend's horse barn, which don't biodegrade. Gaffron and her friend talked about ways to make better use of the trash and came up with an idea to help the homeless.