RHINELANDER - Many people visit the Northwoods as a place to get away from cell phones, emails, and constant connection.
But people who live here need those options for home and business.
Development leaders say Oneida County is a poorly connected place in terms of technology.
Doing business or personal work through broadband IN the city of Rhinelander works pretty well.
Just about anywhere else in Oneida County, though, can be a struggle.
Having broadband is no longer just a nice perk for people who like technology or who live in the city.
"Internet access is like electricity. It's like getting water to your house. It's critical. They call it the information superhighway, but the internet really is as important as a road when it comes to doing business," says Oneida County Community Resource Development Agent Tim Brown.
Only a few areas have the top level of service in Oneida County.
That leaves smaller communities and rural areas lacking.
Development leaders want county and town governments to work to improve broadband.
But the government can't provide the service.
That would be illegal.
So instead, they need to convince providers to come here.
"There is demand here, that there is money to be made here, and we encourage you to invest in building more connections in our community," Brown says.
You can help the effort.
Follow the link below to take a survey on broadband needs in your area.
NORTHWOODS - You might find it easier to get a campsite at a national forest campground for Labor Day Weekend.
There are nearly 50 campgrounds to choose from across the across Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Reserved sites at campgrounds within the area are actually the exception rather than the rule. Assistant Ranger of Recreation Land Evan Miller explains why those not making reservations have the advantage.
"In the state of Wisconsin, the National Forest manages about 1,200 campsites over 49 different campgrounds," said Miller. "Of those, about 75 percent are first-come, first-serve. So individuals who are here first will have the first pick. The other 25 percent are reservable through Reserve USA."
RHINELANDER - People will swarm Trig's Riverwalk Center for the best deals for the next couple of days, but it won't just be for groceries.
People hunted today for the best used items at the Mammouth Rummage Sale. The sale began today and runs through Saturday.
"We are very busy! I thought they were going to run me down when I opened the door," said Bev Geske, a NATH board member. "They were lined up outside. We opened a little early because of that. [I think] we're going to be busy Thursday, Friday, and Saturday."
BOULDER JUNCTION - People who enjoy working with wood could show off their talent in Boulder Junction this week. A woodcarving workshop is being held at the town's community center.
The workshop is held every year by the Muskie Area Woodcarvers from Arbor Vitae. Everyone from beginners to experts could sign up, and everyone has an opportunity to learn many different kinds of woodworking in one spot.
"We have chip carving, we have wood burning, we have deep relief, shallow relief," says Woodcarver Ron Hine. "Bob Harris, one of our members, is a bird-carver so he usually teaches a bird. There's 11 different stations and 12 instructors."
RHINELANDER - Many people can't believe it's almost time to go back to school. However, it's not just kids that are heading back to school. Research has shown that a lot of adults are going back to school as well. The number of non-traditional students is the highest it's ever been.
"As technology continuously changes, and as new processes and ways of doing things are introduced into various businesses and organizations, the needs of employees are really changing," said Sandy Bishop, director of workforce development at Nicolet College in Rhinelander.
RHINELANDER - Students go back to school soon, which means teachers are busy preparing for the upcoming school year.
One teacher at Pelican Elementary School in Rhinelander has been getting ready since the beginning of August.
"Getting back in teaching mode starts about when the back to school flyers come out," says teacher Stephanie Pudlowski. "It's just as exciting as it is for the kids to get the school supplies and to start thinking about that."
She teaches a multi-age class with kids from first to third grade.
Disclaimer: All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Rockfleet Broadcasting / Northland Television, Inc. and By Request Web Designs shall not be held responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints.