Loading
Search
NEWS STORIES

Former Area Boston Marathoners React to BombingsSubmitted: 04/15/2013
Story By Newswatch 12 Sports

Former Area Boston Marathoners React to Bombings
BOSTON - What most people would say is the unthinkable happened in Boston on Monday. Just as thousands of marathoners were crossing the finish line, two bombs exploded.

Three people were killed, and more than one hundred people were injured.

Those numbers could rise.

It ruins what has become an annual tradition.

Nearly 27,000 people took part in the historic race. All 50 states and 73 other countries all represented.


It's a sad time for all Americans. For former Boston Marathon runners from the Northwoods, it's even tougher.

"It's hard to comprehend something like that happening at a marathon," says Dan Lemke of Tomahawk. He ran the Boston Marathon in 2003. "It's a horrible crime, and a sad day in the history of U.S. Sports."

Blaine Nyberg of Minocqua ran the Boston Marathon the last three years. He missed this year's race because of medical issues. However the four other runners in his group were back this year.

"The first thing I did was text Matt Thomas and Dr. Rick Fossen and asked them if they were o.k.," adds Nyberg. "Both texted me back right away and said they had already finished and were a block away from the initial blast."

The other runners in the group were approximately 20-30 minutes behind those who were near the finish line. They were rerouted to another street to meet their families. The group of runners were all safe.

Police in New York City and London are stepping up security following explosions at the Boston Marathon. The London Marathon is Sunday.

Security at the White House was also beefed up after the explosions. No one was allowed to walk on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Monday night's NHL game in Boston was postponed. Tuesday
night's NBA game also in Boston was cancelled.


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
| Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS
What We're Working OnSubmitted: 01/18/2018

- Tonight on Newswatch 12:

We take you live to the Medford area where a standoff started after someone called 911 just before 5 p.m. Wednesday.

We'll tell you about a public bus service that now serves Park Falls but is expanding its service to Phillips.

And last year's Eagle River World Snowmobile Derby champion from Tomahawk will give away his racing helmet, jacket and pants in a raffle to send members of Tomahawk's VFW to this year's honor flight. Tonight Nick Van Strydonk tells us why he chose to do this.

We'll bring you the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.

+ Read More

EAGLE RIVER - The World Championship Derby started as a small oval racetrack on Dollar Lake.

The race began back in 1964 thanks to Chanticleer Inn's John and Betty Alward.

They wanted a way to keep business up during the slow winter season for themselves and fellow resort owners.

Their son Jake still runs the inn and remembers the excitement behind the "newness" of the sport.

"Every factory wanted their machine first! Money was not the object… it was getting the right machine the right equipment….The right this and that. People flew to Minneapolis to get and engine or a part!" says Alward.

The 55th World Championship Derby is this weekend.

+ Read More

MADISON - Preliminary estimates show unemployment in Wisconsin reached a record low in December.

The state Department of Workforce Development released figures Thursday that show the unemployment rate in December was 3 percent. That's a record for December and matches the lowest rate on record.

+ Read More

MADISON - Governor Scott Walker wants the Wisconsin Legislature to pass a welfare overhaul package this year that includes tougher work requirements and additional drug testing.

Walker unveiled the proposals Thursday. They are backed by Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and state Sen. Chris Kapenga.

+ Read More

OSHKOSH - A defendant accused of initiating a fatal police standoff at a Neenah motorcycle shop will be allowed to represent himself at his upcoming trial.

That's after a judge allowed the ninth and tenth lawyers assigned to the case to withdraw.

+ Read More

EAGLE RIVER - Colder temps and windy weather delayed work on the Vilas County Courthouse expansion this winter.

The $11 million project is scheduled to be finished at the end of February. The only portion of the building still being worked on is the connector between the new building and the existing courthouse. 

+ Read More

Play Video

RHINELANDER - A Three Lakes man accused of sexually assaulting two children pleaded not guilty in court on Wednesday. 
 
David Teresinski, 69, is accused of sexually assaulting a child over the course of five years. 

In December, details about another child Teresinski allegedly assaulted came forward. 

Wednesday in Oneida County Court, Teresinski waived his right to hear evidence against him.
Teresinki is out on a $25,000 cash bond. 

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 





Click Here