Loading

17°F

14°F

17°F

13°F

15°F

18°F

17°F

16°F

15°F

16°F

16°F

17°F
NEWS STORIES

Upper Peninsula Woman Hits Big JackpotSubmitted: 02/28/2013
Story By Associated Press

HOUGHTON, MI - A retired woman from Michigan's Upper Peninsula is the winner of the Mega Millions jackpot.

Judy Juntunen of Atlantic Mine was announced yesterday as the person who bought the ticket worth 19-million dollars.

She has chosen the cash option, which means she will receive about 14-million in a lump sum, before taxes.

Juntunen bought the ticket at Festival Foods in Houghton.


She got a call from her granddaughter who heard the market sold the winning ticket.

That's when she realized she was the winner.

Juntunen says she is going to buy a car with four-wheel drive, which she needs ``up in snow country.''

Juntunen used to work as a contract mail carrier for the postal service.

(Copyright 2013 Associated Press - All Rights Reserved)


Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
Print Story | Email Story
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com





 IN OTHER NEWS

KENOSHA - Police say 11 people were hurt but none seriously when a bus crashed on Interstate 94 in southeastern Wisconsin.

The Kenosha County sheriff's office says the coach-style commercial bus was returning from Milwaukee to the Chicago area when the driver suffered an apparent medical condition and collapsed about 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

+ Read More

CALEDONIA - An elderly couple is dead after being struck by a sport utility vehicle as they left a church in southeastern Wisconsin.

Police say Oscar and Vernetta Lang, both 83 and from Caledonia, died after being struck about 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

+ Read More

MADISON - Lawmakers are set to reignite conversations this week about whether vaping, using electronic cigarettes and other vapor smoking devices, should be included in Wisconsin's smoking ban.

The ban took effect in 2010. It outlaws smoking in all public indoor locations, including restaurants and bars. But the ban does not currently apply to vaping, giving venue owners the right to decide whether or not to permit e-cigarettes.

+ Read More

MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee police say a 7-year-old boy has drowned while attending a birthday party at a hotel.

Police say the party was at the Comfort Suites Park Place hotel in northwest Milwaukee.

+ Read More

WAKEFIELD - Close to 3,000 people in Gogebic County experienced a widespread power outage Friday.

The Gogebic County Sheriff's Office aren't sure how it happened, but power is being restored.

They say the outage affected much of the county, but it was narrowed down to the city of Wakefield. About 50 percent of the city was without power.

Deputies say the city of Wakefield maintains its own power grid. They say Wakefield Electric Department and Xcel Energy worked all day Saturday to restore power.

+ Read More

Play Video

MEDFORD - Members of the Medford Curling Club celebrated their 100 year anniversary this weekend. The club began its first curling season in July of 1914 and has steadily built a following during the past century. Club members believe media exposure has brought more attention to curling locally and across the country.

"I think the Olympics have done a great boost for curling, clubs are popping up all over the United States now," said Centennial Committee Chairman Jeff Mueller. "You can meet people all over the country, you mention curling, they say they saw it on the Olympics. Unlike years ago when they thought it was just some boring shuffleboard on ice type of thing, people really get into it."

+ Read More

MEDFORD - 28 middle aged and elderly people will need to find housing after an apartment fire in Medford Saturday.

It happened a little before 1 p.m. The Medford Police Department says the fire happened in Riverview Village Apartments on the third floor.

Medford Police Chief Ken Coyer says a neighbor smelled and saw smoke.

The 28 people who lived there were displaced due to smoke, fire and water damage throughout the building. Red Cross helped them at Medford Area Senior High School to make arrangments for housing.

The chief says this was an accidental fire.

+ Read More
+ More General News
Search: 




Click Here