Vacation Home Burns in Vilas County
- A fire at a vacation home in Plum Lake kept crews busy yesterday afternoon.
The Vilas County Sheriff's Office says it happened at 4 o'clock.
The building was a vacation home.
That house is a total loss, and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Nobody was inside at the time, and thankfully there were no injuries.
Plum Lake fire and ambulance crews, along with Boulder Junction and St. Germain fire crews all helped to put the fire out.
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Gogebic Taconite submits sampling plans
- Gogebic Taconite wants to move quickly to dig an iron mine in Ashland and Iron Counties. MADISON This week, they submitted plans for the next step in the state's process. The company is asking the DNR for permission to sample hundreds of thousands of tons of earth, part of a bulk sampling plan. Gogebic Taconite also officially told the DNR it will seek a mining permit. The DNR will tell Gogebic within two weeks whether it can go forward with the sampling.
Woman killed when ATV goes over cliff
- A woman died when an ATV sailed over a cliff in Iron county. SAXON Deputies got the call around seven last night about the ATV crash near Harbor Drive in Saxon. The ATV did not make it around a corner on Harbor drive and traveled over the cliff, coming to rest on the beach. A 42 year old woman who was a passenger on the ATV was dead at the scene. Her 44 year old husband had been driving, and suffered severe injuries.
Man dies when a train hits his van
- An elderly man from central Wisconsin killed in a terrifying crash when a train crashes into his van. TOWN OF UNITY, WI Charles Podbelsek, 81, was driving on a Clark County Road Tuesday morning. When he approached the railroad crossing he did not stop at the stop sign and hit a Canadian National train. His Caravan was thrown from the crossing, landed on its roof, and Podbelsek was thrown from the van.
Woman with Alzheimer's found safe
- A barking dog led searchers to a Wood County woman with Alzheimer's disease. WOOD COUNTY Just before five last night, a call came in saying the woman was missing from the 46-hundred block of Lynn Hill Road in Port Edwards township. The woman was enrolled in the "Project Lifesaver" program, and was wearing a transmitter. However, the battery had apparently gone dead, so searchers could not find her that way.
Budget likely just days away from passge
- Wisconsin Republicans want to expand private school vouchers, put forth a huge income tax cut, and reject a federal Medicaid expansion. MADISON Those ideas could be just days away from becoming law in Wisconsin. The state Assembly passed the biennial state budget on a 55-42 vote Wednesday. Those proposals are just some of hundreds in the $70 billion budget. Democrats decided not to offer any of the 211 amendments they had ready.
7th annual historical society picnic
- Cars, ATVs and snowmobiles can take you to nearly any destination in the Northwood’s. ANTIGO But without the steam-engine locomotive, many of those spots wouldn’t be on the map. Joe Harmolin, Langlade County Historic Society president, said at one point in Antigo's history, half of the town worked for the railroad. “They would ship out wood products and eventually farm goods," Harmolin said. "It used to all come through Antigo.”
Merrill City Council plans to at Tomahawk to Municipal Court cases
- We want our city officials to save money and resources where they can. MERRILL In Merrill, the city council is trying to do that with their municipal court. The new plan means if you get a speeding ticket or citation for disorderly conduct in tomahawk, you'd have to go to court in Merrill. The timetable is quicker for getting in and out of the municipal court than getting through Lincoln County Circuit Court. The discussion came up when Merrill's city staff members decided they need to make a decision whether to continue funding the court.