New Exhibit Moves into Langlade Co. Historical Society Museum
- You can see paintings and photos by Northwoods artists at the Langlade County Historical Society Museum.
The Antigo Visual Artists move about six shows through the gallery at the museum each year.
The winter show open now is called "Share the Spirit-- Winter in the Northwoods". Each original piece is for sale, and the artists have made prints and holiday cards from the originals.
The exhibit is open Thursday through Saturday from 9 am to 3:30 pm, and runs through January 12th.
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Gogebic Taconite submits sampling plans
- Gogebic Taconite wants to move quickly to dig an iron mine in Ashland and Iron Counties. MADISON This week, they submitted plans for the next step in the state's process. The company is asking the DNR for permission to sample hundreds of thousands of tons of earth, part of a bulk sampling plan. Gogebic Taconite also officially told the DNR it will seek a mining permit. The DNR will tell Gogebic within two weeks whether it can go forward with the sampling.
Medford man searches for photo of every Vietnam death from Wisconsin
- “Our goal is to find them all," says Bryce Kelley. MEDFORD Kelley, a Medford resident, wants to find a picture of every Wisconsin soldier killed in Vietnam. “I know that I will continue to work, and I have enlisted the help of many others that will continue to work until we find them all," he says. Nearly 1,200 Wisconsinites’ names are etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington.
Newman High Schools received new solar panels
- A Wausau high school will go green to save money and teach students about energy conservation. WAUSAU New solar panels will sit on top of the roof. It will save Newman High School approximately $400 a year. The W-P-S foundation donated the system as part of the SolarWise for school program. It's an educational experience for the kids as well.
Woman killed when ATV goes over cliff
- A woman died when an ATV sailed over a cliff in Iron county. SAXON Deputies got the call around seven last night about the ATV crash near Harbor Drive in Saxon. The ATV did not make it around a corner on Harbor drive and traveled over the cliff, coming to rest on the beach. A 42 year old woman who was a passenger on the ATV was dead at the scene. Her 44 year old husband had been driving, and suffered severe injuries.
Kids make sculptures from soil
- When you were a child, you probably liked to play in the dirt. THREE LAKES Wednesday, some kids did just that. Only this time, it was for educational purposes. Jessica Hepker works at Trees for Tomorrow. Wednesday at the Three Lakes Library, she taught kids about different types of soil.
7th annual historical society picnic
- Cars, ATVs and snowmobiles can take you to nearly any destination in the Northwood’s. ANTIGO But without the steam-engine locomotive, many of those spots wouldn’t be on the map. Joe Hermolin, Langlade County Historic Society president, said at one point in Antigo's history, half of the town worked for the railroad. “They would ship out wood products and eventually farm goods," Hermolin said. "It used to all come through Antigo.”
Plans for next wolf hunt move forward
- Wisconsin wildlife officials want hunters and trappers kill more wolves this year. MADISON Yesterday the DNR finalized proposed kill quotas for the state's second wolf season. The quota was set at 275 wolves. The state's Chippewa tribes are entitled to part of that quota.