Antigo, Wabeno, Elcho advance in volleyball regionals
ANTIGO, WABENO, ELCHO
- Volleyball regionals began Tuesday night around the state. Several Northwoods teams were competing in win or go home matches. While others wait until Thursday to begin their post season.
In Division 2, Antigo hosted Sparta. It was the Red Robins advancing with a 3-0 victory. Antigo will face West Salem on Thursday.
In D-4, Wabeno is the top seed in their regional. They bagan with a sweep over St. Thomas Aquinas on Tuesday.
In Elcho, the Hornets needed four games to knock off Pembine on Tuesday. Elcho takes on Florence in the D-4 regionals.
Story By: Newswatch 12 Sports
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Clean Boats, Clean Waters Program Trains Volunteers
- Memorial Day weekend will bring lots of boaters to our lakes and rivers. MINOCQUA But hopefully, those boaters won't bring water and plants from other lakes. Oneida County's UW-Extension held a "Clean Boats, Clean Waters" workshop to help prevent that today. Volunteers learned to identify aquatic invasive species. They also learned how to properly clean boats when they come off the water.
Plan Looked at Marathon County Jail Troubles
- Plans that could have made Marathon County Jail safer, were never put in place. WAUSAU Marathon County officials told a citizens committee about the unused plan during their review of an attack on two officers in March. Marathon County Administrator Brad Karger said they made the plan after 2010 survey showed widespread unease with jail employees. The plan would have come up with solutions for specific problems shown by the survey.
Help Stop Emerald Ash Borer Spread when Camping
- The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest's 52 campgrounds will be a big draw this Memorial Day weekend. RHINELANDER But campers bringing in outside firewood hurts efforts to stop Emerald Ash Borer in the Northwoods. The disease hasn't been found in the forest yet.
New Printpack facility progressing nicely
- Work on the new Printpack facility in Rhinelander seems to be going smoothly. RHINELANDER The new building is located on Highway 17, a little south of Lincoln Street. Printpack Human Resources Director Jeremy VanCamp tells us the structure should be done by mid July. But it will take some time to get everything up and running inside. Equipment will start going in by the end of summer. That will happen in various stages through March 2014.
Man Accused of Lac du Flambeau Stabbing in Custody
- James Peterson, 30, will be charged with stabbing a man in Lac du Flambeau over the weekend. LAC DU FLAMBEAU Peterson is accused of stabbing a 19-year-old man early Sunday morning. It happened on Longs Point Lane in Lac du Flambeau. The victim had been stabbed in the leg with a knife. Peterson was also injured.
Northwoods Schools Struggle to Fill School Boards
- Voters choose from lots of candidates in both presidential primaries and general elections. LAONA, CRANDON Most state offices even have several candidates on the ballot. But what if nobody wants to do the job? What if nobody is on the ballot?
UPDATE: Names released in deadly Shawano County Crash
- We now know the name of the man killed in a one-car crash this week. 75-year-old Leon Felix Wychesit of Gillet died Monday. SHAWANO COUNTY He was apparently the passenger in a car driven by Tina Wychesit. Their car crashed into a tree on North First Street in Bonduel. Responders took both to the hospital. The 75-year-old man was pronounced dead at the Shawano Medical Center. There's no word yet if alcohol or speed played roles in the crash. ----------------------- A crash in Shawano County killed a man. Bonduel police were called to a wreck on north First street shortly after noon yesterday. A car had slammed into a tree. A 75 year old man riding in the car was pronounced dead at the Shawano Medical Center.