UWSP's Pink Game earns plenty of green
- In college football last week, UW-Stevens Point fell to LaCrosse 19-16. But the Pointers were a winner off the gridiron.
It was the annual Pink Game, with the team sporting pink jerseys, which were auctioned off after the game. The Pointers raised a record $36,000 for the Susan G. Komen and Circle of Friends Foundation, serving local cancer patients and kids with cancer.
UWSP travels to Menominee to face UW-Stout on Saturday.
Story By: Newswatch 12 Sports
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Plan Looked at Marathon County Jail Troubles
- Plans that could have made Marathon County Jail safer, were never put in place. WAUSAU Marathon County officials told a citizens committee about the unused plan during their review of an attack on two officers in March. Marathon County Administrator Brad Karger said they made the plan after 2010 survey showed widespread unease with jail employees. The plan would have come up with solutions for specific problems shown by the survey.
Help Stop Emerald Ash Borer Spread when Camping
- The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest's 52 campgrounds will be a big draw this Memorial Day weekend. RHINELANDER But campers bringing in outside firewood hurts efforts to stop Emerald Ash Borer in the Northwoods. The disease hasn't been found in the forest yet.
Man Accused of Lac du Flambeau Stabbing in Custody
- James Peterson, 30, will be charged with stabbing a man in Lac du Flambeau over the weekend. LAC DU FLAMBEAU Peterson is accused of stabbing a 19-year-old man early Sunday morning. It happened on Longs Point Lane in Lac du Flambeau. The victim had been stabbed in the leg with a knife. Peterson was also injured.
Clean Boats, Clean Waters Program Trains Volunteers
- Memorial Day weekend will bring lots of boaters to our lakes and rivers. MINOCQUA But hopefully, those boaters won't bring water and plants from other lakes. Oneida County's UW-Extension held a "Clean Boats, Clean Waters" workshop to help prevent that today. Volunteers learned to identify aquatic invasive species. They also learned how to properly clean boats when they come off the water.
Home Sales Up Overall for the State
- Home sales in Wisconsin keep growing. MADISON New numbers show April was the 22nd consecutive month of growth. Sales were up 9 percent compared to April of last year. The median price for existing homes rose 8 percent. For the northern region of the state, sales were up five percent in April.
Man dies in Shawano County Crash
- A crash in Shawano County killed a man. SHAWANO COUNTY Bonduel police were called to a wreck on north First street shortly after noon yesterday. A car had slammed into a tree. A 75 year old man riding in the car was pronounced dead at the Shawano Medical Center.
Stormy Kromer providing gear for USA Ski Jump Team in Winter Olympics
- When the Winter Olympic Games come on the NBC airwaves next year... you'll see a pair firsts. IRONWOOD, MI The U.S. Women's Ski Jumping Team will compete for the first time ever... and they'll wear Stormy Kromer gear, produced by the company in Ironwood, MI. The company announced the deal Tuesday. Stormy Kromer will provide lifestyle and fashion apparel for both the men's and women's teams.