Aiport Receives Grants to Further Project
- Major improvements at the Merrill Municipal Airport will continue thanks to a $1.6 million grant from the government.
A combination of the Federal Aviation Administration, the state, and the City of Merrill pitched in money for new construction at the airport.
It will go toward building a new taxi-way, airplane hangars, and eventually a new terminal.
This comes after the airport received about $3 million last year as part of the same project.
Merrill Municipal Airport serves business and peronal airplanes, and is located just north of the city.
Sponsored in part by HodagSports.com
In Other News:
Woman with Alzheimer's found safe
- A barking dog led searchers to a Wood County woman with Alzheimer's disease. WOOD COUNTY Just before five last night, a call came in saying the woman was missing from the 46-hundred block of Lynn Hill Road in Port Edwards township. The woman was enrolled in the "Project Lifesaver" program, and was wearing a transmitter. However, the battery had apparently gone dead, so searchers could not find her that way.
Plans for next wolf hunt move forward
- Wisconsin wildlife officials want hunters and trappers kill more wolves this year. MADISON Yesterday the DNR finalized proposed kill quotas for the state's second wolf season. The quota was set at 275 wolves. The state's Chippewa tribes are entitled to part of that quota.
USDA Merrill Service Center Relocates
- Farmers in Lincoln and Langlade Counties may need to make a longer drive or call a different office for USDA services. MERRILL The Merrill Service Center will be temporarily split up between Rhinelander, Wausau, and Medford. The Farm Service Agency will move to the Wausau Service Center and the Natural Resources Conservation Service will be relocated to the Rhinelander and Medford Centers. These moves will last until further notice.
Woman killed when ATV goes over cliff
- A woman died when an ATV sailed over a cliff in Iron county. SAXON Deputies got the call around seven last night about the ATV crash near Harbor Drive in Saxon. The ATV did not make it around a corner on Harbor drive and traveled over the cliff, coming to rest on the beach. A 42 year old woman who was a passenger on the ATV was dead at the scene. Her 44 year old husband had been driving, and suffered severe injuries.
Man dies when a train hits his van
- An elderly man from central Wisconsin killed in a terrifying crash when a train crashes into his van. TOWN OF UNITY, WI Charles Podbelsek, 81, was driving on a Clark County Road Tuesday morning. When he approached the railroad crossing he did not stop at the stop sign and hit a Canadian National train. His Caravan was thrown from the crossing, landed on its roof, and Podbelsek was thrown from the van.
Medford man searches for photo of every Vietnam death from Wisconsin
- “Our goal is to find them all," says Bryce Kelley. MEDFORD Kelley, a Medford resident, wants to find a picture of every Wisconsin soldier killed in Vietnam. “I know that I will continue to work, and I have enlisted the help of many others that will continue to work until we find them all," he says. Nearly 1,200 Wisconsinites’ names are etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington.
Merrill City Council plans to at Tomahawk to Municipal Court cases
- We want our city officials to save money and resources where they can. MERRILL In Merrill, the city council is trying to do that with their municipal court. The new plan means if you get a speeding ticket or citation for disorderly conduct in tomahawk, you'd have to go to court in Merrill. The timetable is quicker for getting in and out of the municipal court than getting through Lincoln County Circuit Court. The discussion came up when Merrill's city staff members decided they need to make a decision whether to continue funding the court.