- A fire at Pukall Lumber last Wednesday didn't slow the company down.
No one worked Thursday and Friday, but that was because of Independence Day, not because of the fire. Now, everything but the paneling shop is up and running.
"The fire started right here at our chipping operation, we chip scrap up and blow it into our silos," said vice president Rick Wilson. "There's some foreign object, we think, that got into our chipper that created a spark and started the fire."
Wilson can't remember the last time they had a fire like this.
"We had an employee who noticed some smoke coming out of the top of the building and when we got to the fire, it was already quite large," he said. "We did what we could with the fire extinguishers until the fire department came."
Arbor Vitae fought the fire along with five other departments. Firewalls helped, too.
"The building is really not a total loss," Wilson said. "This is one corner of a very large building. The firewalls did their job and we were able to limit this fire to this one section."
Wilson guesses the damage here will probably run about half a million dollars.
"This building is only paneling and flooring operation. It's a minor part of our business, so overall, we will rebuild it, but it won't have a significant impact on our operation."
Wilson says a fire in any other part of the building would have done millions of dollars' worth of damage. He's also grateful for a quick response.
"I want to thank all the local volunteer fire departments," he said. "They did a great job, they responded quickly and they were very professional."
The panel shop will take at least a few months to rebuild.
Written By: Lex Gray