- An afternoon fire leveled a garage in the Town of Crescent. Police responded about 2:30 this afternoon to 6151 County Road K.
By the time our reporter got there around 2:50 p.m., the garage was up in flames and barely standing.
Owner Jim Waalkens saw the smoke and told his wife Freda to call the fire department.
Jim went inside the garage to try to get their brand new tractor out. He wasn't able to get it started in time and had to leave as the building burned around him.
Freda says she doesn't know for sure how the fire started, but they were using a wood burning stove in the garage at the time.
Newbold and Crescent fire crews got the fire under control shortly after 3:00 p.m.
Jim Waalkens did have to go get checked out at the hospital for smoke inhalation, but his wife says he's ok.
Written By: Lyndsey Stemm