- An elderly Woodboro couple is displaced tonight after lightning struck a gas line, sparking a fire in their home.
Last night's thunderstorms producued a spectacle of light but damage in its wake.
The couple's Daughter, Debra Kimbler, said "They found the marks on the tree. They even found the marks throughout the ground where they could follow where the lightning went and went right into their home."
The fire broke out around 3 a.m. Sunday on Fire Tower road in Woodboro.
Several surrounding fire departments responded.
The Kauckkhans were awake when the fire broke because the thunder was so loud.
Fire fighters say the fire started below their kitchen sink where the gas line comes into the home.
No one was hurt and the couple got out safely, but their home was declared a
"She didn't even get her purse out. There's a cat that's still missing but at least they got their three dogs out and themselves. But you know wallets, everything's just gone," said Kimbler.
The Kauckkhans have lived in their home for more than 20 years.
Mrs. Kauckkahn is a retired school teacher and Mr. Kauckkhan is a retired officer with the Oneida County Sherriff's Department.
Kimbler said, "There's 70 years of life in there that's just gone."
The family has set up a fund for donations at People State Bank. They're also accepting food and clothing donations.
If you'd like to help out e-mail Debra Kimbler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Written By: Jenn Sullivan