Recipe courtesy Buffy Miller-Jackson
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup chopped or sliced nuts
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 cup rice cereal
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Mix together oatmeal, steel cut oats, nuts, and flex seed meal and toast in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes, stirring the mixture half way through.
2. Combine toasted ingredients with cereal and dried fruit.
3. In a heavy bottom saucepan combine butter, syrup, and honey. Heat to boiling over low heat, stirring constantly. Once boiling cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
4. Pour over the oatmeal mixture and stir well to evenly coat the oat mixture with the syrup mixture.
5. Press the mixture into a 9X13 pan that has been lined with wax or parchment paper that has been sprayed. Overhang the paper over the long edges of the pan to make it easier to remove the bars from the pan to cut. Let sit 15 minutes to cool, then evenly sprinkle chips over the top and firmly press the chips into the bars.
6. Refrigerate to cool. Once completely cool cut into 12 even bars. To store wrap each bar in wax paper and store in the refrigerator.