Courtesy Buffy Miller-Jackson
2 1/4 cups flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons caraway seed
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease an 8" round baking pan.
3. Combine the dry ingredients, mixing well.
4. Combine the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or forks until the mixture is crumbly.
5. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
6. Add milk, stir in well. The dough will be very sticky. Turn the dough out onto a WELL floured board and knead 5-8 times until the dough is no longer sticky.
7. Press dough into the prepared pan. With a sharp knife cut an X into the top of the loaf and brush with the melted butter.
8. Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes until the loaf is a deep golden brown and a pick stuck in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
9. Remove from pan right away and cool on a wire rack. Best served warm.