- Some people like to cozy up next to a fireplace on fall nights, but finding cost-effective ways to stay warm can be risky.
That's why the Rhinelander Fire Department wants everyone to stay safe.
"Everyone gets cold at this time of year and starts putting the space heaters on," said Rhinelander Fire Department Lt. Aaron Swaney. "We don't recommend them, but if you are going to use them make sure they're Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed, so if they tip over they shut off right away."
It's also important to get your fireplace inspected.
"It's always good to have your chimneys cleaned right away before you start using them," said Swaney. "That eliminates chimney fires. Also, your gas stoves, they should be serviced before you start running them."
You can borrow a chimney cleaner from the Rhinelander Fire Department for free.
|Story By: Anthony DaBruzzi