- A pair gravel pit mines could significantly change the look of one area in Lincoln County. The proposed mines would cover more than 100 acres south east of Tomahawk. We'll take a look at the issue coming up tonight at six.
- We'll give you an update on controlling a pesky species of aquatic invasives.
- And what would happen with a major gas line leak? WPS practiced scenarios today.
We'll have the details on these stories and more tonight on Newswatch 12 - news from where you live.
ANTIGO - Dealing with allergic reactions to bee stings can be one of the biggest health threats to students.
"If we were seeing a reaction, for example a tingling of the mouth, swelling of the throat, a visual that a student might give us if they are unable to breath at that time, we would immediately administer an EpiPen," Director of Pupil Services Unified School District of Antigo Karen Baker.
Teachers watch carefully for possible allergic reactions, especially at recess and on field trips.
MERRILL - The Community Warming Center in Merrill finished up its first winter season a few weeks ago. The center provides a place to stay for people in need from November through April.
The guest's ages ranged from 22 to 45 years old. The center is run through the Merrill United Way. The Warming Center's director said its first year went much better than expected.
"It's kind of like building the field of dreams and not knowing if anyone will come to play, or to stay in our case," said Merrill United Way Executive Director Dee Olsen. "But what ended up happening was the community was responsive and we ended up with 11 guests throughout the season with 90 user nights."
The center is already preparing for the next season. They have new blankets and pillows ready for their next year.
RHINELANDER - Seventh graders in Rhinelander will help protect bats this summer. That's thanks to help from the U.S. Forest Service.
Kids in Rhinelander Monday learned about endangered bats across Wisconsin on Monday. A bat expert with Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest showed the importance of keeping bats healthy. The students helped local scientists by building new homes for the bats.
"Ms. Swaney showed us a presentation about the bats with a speaker and now we're building them," said 7th grader Jackie Wells.
"They have predators and it will kind of keep them safe in their little bat homes," said 7th Grader Connor Lund.
MADISON - The person who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison has been identified as a Junction City man.
The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office said Monday 61-year-old Lloyd Taylor died at a Milwaukee area hospital. He was taken there after he was found suffering the effects of carbon monoxide in his camper outside the Alliant Energy Center April 17.
Disclaimer: All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Rockfleet Broadcasting / Northland Television, Inc. and By Request Web Designs shall not be held responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints.