Loading

63°F

63°F

64°F

61°F

64°F

61°F

59°F

65°F

64°F
EMAIL THIS STORY

Kittens accidentally burned in bonfire Submitted: 06/20/2013
MINOCQUA - Animals usually like to hide their newborns to keep them safe, but a mama cat chose the wrong place to hide her litter.

This is Tiki, the only surviving kitten of his litter. Tiki is about seven weeks old. A woman brought him into the Northwoods Animal Hospital in Minocqua a week and an half ago.

"She and her friends had attended a bonfire the night before. Unbeknownst to them, they threw a mattress that had the kittens nestled inside of the mattress," says Karen Seehafer-Petersohn, Certified Veterinary Technician.

The woman pulled the mattress out of the fire when she realized the kittens were inside, but Tiki was the only survivor.

He has 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs and paws. The hospital staff wants to remind people that baby animals can easily hide in places - like abandon buildings, garages, and under porches.

"Another thing that we have found in the past is boats. They like to go into boats that have been stored for the winter, get underneath the tarps that have been stored for the winter," says Karen Seehafer-Petersohn.

Tiki still has a high fever and needs a lot of medical care before he can be adopted.



Story By: Melissa Constanzer

Text Size: + Increase | Decrease -
 

Email this article to a friend: 


*Your Name:
*Email Address:
*Recipient Name:
*Email Address:
Comment/Question
  Enter the code you see below:

Code:
     


Search: 




Click Here