- As we first told you on Wednesday, weather conditions forced several changes to the upcoming seasons for the Great Northern Conference.
On Thursday morning, GNC Commishioner Scott Winch sent out a memo outlining the changes.
• Golf – Any of the seven conference meets that are canceled due to weather will not be made up.
• Track – Invites will not be made up, Conference Meet will still take place in Antigo on May 16th.
• Girls Soccer – 2nd round of scheduled games will count towards the conference standings. The second round starts on May 2nd for girls soccer. Any games played prior to this will be considered non-conference events.
• Baseball/Softball – Double headers (will start at 5:00) will be scheduled on the second round conference dates. If all seven schools play all twelve conference games then conference champion will be determined by the records of the schools in those games. In the event that all seven schools don't play all twelve games, due to weather, the first game played against another school will be counted as the conference game.
• May 11th will be set aside as a make up day for softball, Medford and Antigo have agreed to be host sites if schools need to play more than one team on that day. Teams that play at each of these sites will split the cost of umpires equally.
• May 18th will be set aside as a makeup day for baseball, Antigo and Tomahawk have agreed to be host sites if schools need to play more than one team on that day. Teams that play at each of these sites will split the cost of umpires equally.
The Athletic Directors met with Winch Wednesday in Tomahawk. The meeting took about three hours, going over all possible scenarios.
Although all of the schools in the GNC are effected, Northland Pines, Lakeland, and Rhinelander were considered to be in the worst shape for their athletic fields. Rhinelander's Hodag Park alone had around 12 inches of snow on their baseball diamond.
Story By: Joe Dufek